'01 Mazocchi forks - rebuildable?

sp838

I have no doubt Stig could fix the 'Zokes. I am not, however, sure he wants to. But he is a nice guy and it can't hurt to ask.

Personally, I encourage people to see for themselves how their forks work. If you have a set lying around, take them apart, try what I was talking about for yourself. Perhaps you can find something I missed. Or something I forgot. It has been a while since I had them apart.

Perhaps I need to re-visit this myself, but I lean towards putting a modern set of forks on with modern brakes and a lighter wheel.

Perhaps I need to re-visit this myself, but I lean towards putting a modern set of forks on with modern brakes and a lighter wheel.

I am investigating this as well.  The path well travelled seems to be GSXR forks.  Are there any obvious reasons R1/R6 forks wouldn't work?   Or any other top notch liter bike? As long as the stem is equal to or great than the stem length we have then a spacer can be made.

the other important dimension is fork leg length, you want that to be the same or very close. you can use the front end off of any bike you want, the reason why gsxrs are a popular choice is because it's a squid favorite. there arentons of them being sold and parted out, so a gsxr front end is generally cheaper and easier to come by. it also depends on what you want to do with the internals. I have the 30mm ohlins nix road and track cartridges which did require some machining of the lowers in irder to install. other forks from other bikes come ready to install.

The thing with GSXR forks is, not only are the easily available but there is a wealth of info about them and a large amount of support.

You can make other forks work but you will be much more on your own, much like you are with the Guzzi to begin with. If you are replacing something like that why not go with the most support.

If you search this site you will find a link to a site with info on the various versions of forks GSXRs came with. That alone makes the swap much easier. Plus there are fork extensions for some versions along with the dampening mods that everyone loves.

You also get a lighter front wheel and better brakes. Finish that up with a Brembo RCS master cylinder and you have an awesome package.

(Here is the link to the site with the GSXR fork info   http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135430 )

That certainly is interesting, but I am not sure why you would replace one of the holes with three holes. I guess it is slightly better than it was, but your adjuster likely still has no effect except when the forks are near the end of their travel.. And your valving would also have no effect until it is most of the way through the stroke.

Did you switch to thicker oil when you did this?

I should have clarified that the drawing was presented in the forum some time ago. I expected someone might recognize it. Not my work. I'm presently trying to disassemble mine and hopefully learn how they work. I'm trying to understand the pictures and procedures in the shop manual so as to minimize dumb questions to the forum.

That certainly is interesting, but I am not sure why you would replace one of the holes with three holes. I guess it is slightly better than it was, but your adjuster likely still has no effect except when the forks are near the end of their travel.. And your valving would also have no effect until it is most of the way through the stroke.

Did you switch to thicker oil when you did this?

I seem to recall that there was a switch to a heavier fork oil concurrent with the rework when this 1st appeared here many moons ago. The defect in the design of the needle for compression damping adjuster was also noted [requiring a new needle w/ an actual taper to it instead of just a chamfer on the tip! :rolleyes: ]