Still not 100% confident.........

Welshguzzi

........ that it's not going to let me down :-(

I've spent the last few weeks checking the electrics, polishing up grounds etc, put a new Odyssey battery in and giving it some TLC, but I took the bike for a pre-MOT test run, and I get an intermittent hesitation when riding at constant speed (in this case about 75mph). Also, the same happens at idle when waiting at junctions and traffic lights. This has been a feature for some time, and gives me no confidence in taking it out for a days' ride, which I really hate.

Previously, you may remember that I have been towed home a couple of times, and I have never got to the root of that problem either. I'm going to get the throttle bodies balanced on the computer next week but I'd be surprised if it was something as simple as that.

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

My bike was modified with a Power Commander when I got it, so I don't know if the stock bikes have a hesitation as described.  If the stock tune is a problem (or if your bikes has been modded), then a reflash and/or PC might be the issue.

Also, TPS can cause some rideability issues as well.

I get an intermittent hesitation when riding at constant speed (in this case about 75mph). Also, the same happens at idle when waiting at junctions and traffic lights. This has been a feature for some time, and gives me no confidence in taking it out for a days' ride, which I really hate.

Previously, you may remember that I have been towed home a couple of times, and I have never got to the root of that problem either.

I don't know your history with this problem. Perhaps it would be useful to try summarize it step by step.

I had a similar problem at idle. It also stalled several times, which seemed to be triggered by the first application of throttle, just after the traffic signal turned green... (most inconvenient). I found some small cracks in the intake boots (between throttle body and cylinder head). I wrapped them with electrical tape and the problem has not come back. That was maybe 1,500 miles ago. BTW - I'm gonna leave the tape on forever; I plan to install new boots at the next service. 

My  :2c:

While the bike is on the computer, be sure to have the technician set the CO trim, that the valves are 0.006"/0.008", fresh plugs, and the TPS set before synchronizing the throttle bodies.

Inspect the main 30 amp fuse for signs of heat damage and be sure you are running high quality relays.

It would also be worth cleaning the ignition switch contacts and inspecting its internal wiring.

The TPS, itself, can develop a glitch right at its most common openings which can cause a nasty hiccup.

New boots also installed - original ones were both split.

The break downs were both the same - sudden loss of power (first time in lane 2 on a motorway) accompanied by prolific back firing almost like it was dropping onto 1 cylinder and eventually none.

I don't want to go through that again. ! ! I tried isolating the neutral/side stand switch with no improvement, so it probably isn't that.

At the risk of labouring the booty point:

I too replaced mine and achieved better running, but one side was split where the jube clip had cut into it- probably due to over-tightening.

It could be worth removing your new boots juuust to double extra recheck that they're fine, and also, dandy.

Apologies for stating possibly obvious checks but my personal mental run-thru would go:

Sufficiently tight battery terminals?

Plugs in tight enough? And gapped right?

HT leads working well?

Coil OK?

Fuel filter fine? And pipes not kinked?

Water in the fuel system?

Hope you can diagnose the problem, I feel for you- It's shit not being able to rely on the machine.

Stew

once you've sorted the common maintenance (plugs, wires, etc) and the problem persists, I'd recommend a tuner garage, perhaps one with a dyno to tune up the PC , or first  you might take the Power Commander off it first after you do the maintenance checks.  

With a PC on there it sounds like there was rideability issues that were attempted to be addressed or caused by the PC.

........ that it's not going to let me down :-(

I've spent the last few weeks checking the electrics, polishing up grounds etc, put a new Odyssey battery in and giving it some TLC, but I took the bike for a pre-MOT test run, and I get an intermittent hesitation when riding at constant speed (in this case about 75mph). Also, the same happens at idle when waiting at junctions and traffic lights. This has been a feature for some time, and gives me no confidence in taking it out for a days' ride, which I really hate.

Previously, you may remember that I have been towed home a couple of times, and I have never got to the root of that problem either. I'm going to get the throttle bodies balanced on the computer next week but I'd be surprised if it was something as simple as that.

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

What do you mean with this? Are you talking about hiccups or cut outs of the engine? Maybe you could clarify the symptoms a bit more.

Well, as long as I actually get to Streffords then hopefully all will be revealed. It's not going to be a comfortable ride :-(

try reps in rogiet-they have a dyno, speak to royston great bloke, a short walk to severn tunnel junction aswell