Scura Clutch

Steve S

I am helping a mate who owns a Scura with a slipping clutch and am being told by parts suppliers that the single plate parts are no longer available so he has bought a complete used twin plater with flywheel, before I start do I need anything else to do the conversion?

I will be taking the engine out and leaving the gearbox in place

Engine out seems like the quickest solution. Have you dealt with the nasty Scura engine paint? Seems like this would be the ideal time for that too. I'll probably need to do this in about a year - so I'm interested to hear how it all goes.

That shi**y engine paint ain't exclusive to Scura models.  I don't know if it was a primer , preparation or paint problem but it sure looks crummy . You can do a search ( this site ) to see how to correctly remedy this paint problem ... I do remember someone using H/D crinkle finish black to match the color & texture . 

Hi there.

i did the clutch on my v11 cafe sport recently.

i stripped from the back moving forward.

my advice is get 2 of these:

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/images/product_images/popup_images/30084410-z.jpg

can be bought here:

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

as for aligning it i made a tool by grinding down the head of bolt. 

cant remember exactly but it can be done. best of luck and remember to take your time.

also you have to raise the frame if you are leaving the engine in place

I am helping a mate who owns a Scura with a slipping clutch and am being told by parts suppliers that the single plate parts are no longer available so he has bought a complete used twin plater with flywheel, before I start do I need anything else to do the conversion?

Send it out for lightening? I forget if it is Todd Eagen or his former partner Ed Milich who still does this work, but one or the other has a fairly comprehensive lightening program for the 2winpl8 that gets it down close to the mass of the single plater w/o turning it into a ticking time bomb like the single platers seem to be.

I would check the parts diagrams carefully. It could be that you will need to change out the splined hub on the input shaft. There were two different ones-  short and long -. I want to say the single plate has the short one - the twin plate has the long one.  I could be wrong  lol   many bikes and old age sometimes don't do memory well -).

While you are checking dimensions, also check clutch push rod length. I feel certain the cup plate that fits in the middle to engage/disengage the clutch is common.

I think it is imperative to have some kind of centering tool. I have never had a clutch go back on by eyeballing. To add to the eyeball complication- you are trying to tighten bolts that only reach their hole by a thread and are in the vertical position unless you push the engine over on the nose somehow.

Its not a complicated task to do but it is very hard to explain with words.  I will see if I can find a picture.

Surely there is a bloke over there that has a tool for the job you could use.

• 3 weeks later...