Tampa Bay, FL USA: baffi e chiecchiaroni

docc

This may be a bit premature, and simultaneously behindhand, to suggest a little get-together (raduno) in the Clearwater, Florida, area on the first weekend of May (probably Sunday the Third). My *Grand Plan* :whistle:  is to trailer my Sport and my son Nic's café V7 to the area to meet up with my brother and his equally café Yamaha SR500 ("Eeyore") for lunch (maybe Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach?) and a 'jaunt' down the Gulf beaches and back and forth across the Sunshine Skyway to alight in downtown St. Pete .

We had started a little "vintage" ride up here in middle Tennessee a couple years ago that grew to be called "Whiskers & Spanners" which (kind of) translates into the Italian, "Baffi e Chiavi."

Apparently, that also translates as "Moustache and Keys" but I like that, too! :oldgit::luigi:

Further, equally sketchy and slippery, details to come! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna try to get my timing cover replaced before you guys get down here so you don't have to see my bodged side stand leaning on a wood block that I have to keep with me... Among other things on my list of tank-off/bike in pieces things I should do. :luigi:

Making reservations this weekend and trying to shape up a (less sketchy) plan.

Haven't heard back from the new member with the Clearwater location. I'll try and find his member info and give a call.

It's pretty easy to map out a loop, but hard for me to judge traffic/time.

That's the guy! Too cool you guys are getting together! Likely it will be just us, so let me know what works best for you two and we'll adapt the already slippery plan . . . :whistle:

• Like 1

Docc- I plan on joining you guys!  Had the pleasure of meeting Czakky yesterday.  He was gracious enough to come over and help do a service on my Le Mans.  Looking forward to meeting you guys.  I know a couple other guys in the area that ride Guzzi's also. I'll spread the word.

Jerry

You guys might hate a Sunday morning ride down the beaches and over the Skyway, but it just seems like something a couple boys from the hills ought to do!

I suppose that would put us in downtown St. Pete for lunch instead of Frenchy's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys, I keep thinking that dragging our way down the beaches, just to say we did, isn't the best option. How about meeting mid-morning in Safety Harbor and looping west to the gulf and north through Dunedin and maybe lunch in Tarpon Springs?

I'm totally open to your suggestions since my impression of where things are and how long it takes to get around is colored by being away for some decades . . .

Docc,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do to get there. 

My son actually lives in Brandon and has a Triumph Street Triple so if I can lock down his schedule (military so you never know what he is into) maybe I can stay over there Saturday and both of us meet up with you guys Sunday.  I'll keep checking the plan here and let you know.

I passed the word along to a couple other friends that ride Guzzis.  Skip will try and get his Centaro back together for the ride and Brad will have to make the tough choice between his Centaro or Griso.  I really like the idea of the ride from Safety Harbor/Tarpon Springs etc.  Have you ever been to O'Maddy's down in Gulfport? Located down town and overlooks Boca Ciega Bay.  Docc ho long will you be in town as we have a Quaker Steak and Lube with bike night on Weds, and also Biff Burger bike night on Weds and Sats. 

Sounds great! I'll take a look at the map and see if we can link up a nice ride. My concept of how long it takes to get around there is really skewed.

This is not so much a "vacation" as more of an insertion/extraction operation. We'll be in Yankeetown up on the Withlacootchee Thursday night and Friday then into Safety Harbor at The Ibis Saturday-Monday. Long trip home Tuesday.

SRL- great, the more the merrier as far as Im concerned.  Hope to see soon

This is the strangest motorcycle trip I've ever geared up for. I just took delivery of five dampers and wiring harness. All for the "tow vehicle." :unsure:  Several gallons of fluids are scheduled to be exchanged, but the Guzzis are all good, already. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking it is extraordinary to bring so many interesting bikes together in such a short time, we ought to take time to look them all over and enjoy each others' company. Let's plan on parking up a good bit and taking lots of photos.  :pic:

The Sunday route looks to be about 80 miles starting in Safety Harbor about 9am or 10 and leaving out about 10 or 11; ride a few miles up to Philippe Park (maybe even get some quick photos) and head back south over the Bayside Bridge and let the motors all open-out a bit taking I-275 clear across the Sunshine Skyway , do the turn-around, and go to oMaddy's on Boca Ciega Bay for lunch. (thanks, JRD! :thumbsup: ).                   [ about 54 miles ]

That's a pretty easy jump back to I-275 for those that need to hot-foot out! Those of us in the more Left-Coast Leisure State-of-mind can cross west onto the barrier islands and *cruise* B) Gulf Boulevard clear to Clearwater beach. Maybe stop off in the parking lot there. More pictures. (It's ok, I figure all the cops that knew me there are retired now! :oldgit:   [ 78 miles ]

I figure maybe ~2 1/2 hours saddle time and 20-30 minutes + an hour-or-so here-and-there and we've a got a day of it!   :bike:  :grin::whistle:B)

Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 8.37.32 PM.png