Tampa Bay, FL USA: baffi e chiecchiaroni

docc

O Maddys might be tough for everyone to get in to on a Saturday and they have very limited parking (what is available on the street).  As a back up there is a great place just south of the skyway bridge right on the water.  Woodys in Ellington.  Great food and craft beer and lots of parking for bikes.  http://woodysriverroo.com

Also just off the skyway is Ft Desto park which has been rated the #1 beach in the US, there is also the old army fort and artillery battery you can tour.  The fort was in operation from 1861-1923. The ride out to the Fort & beach is nice, Once off the main road, it is just nature, no hotels, gas stations or condos.

On the end of the tour, the Dunedin Brewery is a great stop.  Florida's oldest Micro Brewery and they do make some great beer.

http://www.dunedinbrewery.com

This keeps getting better! ( I hope everybody's ok with the liquid-silver itinerary!)

Although, Karl, we're meeting on Sunday . . . . Woody's is open on Sunday afternoon?

So, at this point in the evolution, I'd skip the parade lap through Philippe Park to get to the Manatee River for lunch. It still looks like a good jumping off point for all parties, and we should get there well before they close.

I'm figuring on a couple hours of baffi e chiavi in Safety Harbor before gettin'-gone south across the bay.

Crazed, but . . . I'm also looking at Six Bridges Across the Bay  . . . :grin:

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 2.45.56 PM.png

Crazed, but . . . I'm also looking at Six Bridges Across the Bay  . . . :grin:

I see one more bridge at the Southern end of that.

Seven Bridges Road by The Eagles:

• Like 1

Karl Vonn- We also have the Woody's Beach Café in St Pete Beach looking out Blind Pass directly into the Gulf.  I have gone there several times recently on a Sunday and parking is not a problem.  Either one is fine for me.  I was going to suggest Ft. Desoto also as that's a nice ride, but they increased the fee. I think its up to $5.00 now but I ll check and let everyone know.  The ride out onto the Dunedin Causeway is always nice scenery, especially this time of the year.  And that would be just a hop over from Safety Harbor.   There certainly isn't a shortage of great places to ride to in the Tampa Bay area. Really looking forward to this ride and meeting everyone.

Ok Docc, here are three more bridges we can throw at you, and all can be incorporated into the ride. First, The Clearwater Causeway Bridge from mainland out to Clearwater Beach. From there, head south over the Clearwater Pass Bridge onto Sand Key. Continue south on Gulf Blvd then turn east onto SR686 West Bay Dr. over the Bellaire Causeway Bridge back onto the mainland. All three bridges have are 72' off the water and offer terrific views.

Those are the bridges of my (misguided) youth! Back in the day, The Authorities thought it a poignant deterrent to delinquency and dereliction to mount a speed sensor displaying a "If Lights are Flashing, You Are Speeding" message out on Clearwater Beach Causeway. The game became: how many palm trees away can you tromp it from a dead stop and still trip the warning. (The Cleveland powered Cougar could do it in two trees! B)

We'll definitely be headed back into mid-Pinellas that direction. Everyone is welcome to come for any or all of the day. Nic and I are also planning a Friday foray along the "Nature Coast" (we always called it the Smuggler's Coast), from the Withlacootchee at Yankeetown up to Cedar Key and the mouth of the Suwanee. Anyone interested in exploring that series of dead-end roads - let me know and we'll expect you in Yankeetown (Inglis).

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little 70 mile shakedown ride on the Sport today. Felt GREAT!  Aired up, fueled up, and ready to go. Finished all the tow vehicle and trailer prep today.

Even mounted a proper hood ornament for the trip: Have Coffee, Will Travel! :blink:

DSCN2974.jpg