Help with Ignition switch repair.

Walterg

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and I guess it's time for my first post.
I live in the Netherlands, Europe and I own a Honda Fireblade and a 2003 V11 Le Mans. I bought the V11 last year just before winter and thus I stored the bike in the garage. After I got it out of the garage this month it wouldn't start. I found that the Run Switch was causing problems and I managed to temporarily fix that with a bit of tape. After a few rides the indicator lights started acting up and I traced that to an unreliably functioning Ignition Switch.
When I opened the ignition switch I found a disconnected green wire.
At the moment I can't find any marks as to where the lose wire is supposed to go.
Maybe with some and time and research I'll be able to figure it out but I was hoping that someone
over here could tell me.

I hope my two images are attached.....

Thanks in advance,
Walter

IMG_0251-31.JPG

IMG_0255-31.JPG

There are other pics of switches with one wire off. If you don't mind, post a pic of it repaired with all the wires in the right spot.

Good luck!

The wires work harden with flexing and snap off where they are soldered. Try to fix them moving the flex point away from the joint.

Perhaps glue them to the back cover with some silicone sealant. The loom should flex gently over several inches, no sharp kinks.

Here's a little slide show of mine.

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/V11%20Sport%20Ignition%20Switch

The Blue/Black wire to green jumper you see is the common Hot

Lubricate the contacts with Vaseline, re-visit in about 5 years.

Thanks Kiwi_Roy,

The slide show is very clear. Just what I was looking for !

I was thinking about making a small bracket or a U-shaped wire as you suggested in one of your posts to take the strain of the solder points

I don't have a bracket on mine, it just seems to naturally twist in the middle. 

Don't tie it to anything where it wraps around the head frame.

If you can just secure it where it comes out of the back of switch it will be good.

Thanks for the advise,

I hope to work on the bike this weekend but it's parked outside under the car port and it will be just above freezing point, so I don't know...

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I finally had some time to work on the bike and repaired the ignition switch.
The pictures of KR incited me to have a better look at where the loose wire used to be attached to
and soldered it back into place. The ignition switch works fine now. To take the load of the
connections I replaced the already present tie-wrap inside the switch with a slightly bigger one
and I also tied the loom to the ignition switch housing.

Thanks for the help.

Walter

Stuurslot_IMG_0256-klein.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and I guess it's time for my first post.

I live in the Netherlands, Europe and I own a Honda Fireblade and a 2003 V11 Le Mans. I bought the V11 last year just before winter and thus I stored the bike in the garage. After I got it out of the garage this month it wouldn't start. I found that the Run Switch was causing problems and I managed to temporarily fix that with a bit of tape. After a few rides the indicator lights started acting up and I traced that to an unreliably functioning Ignition Switch.

When I opened the ignition switch I found a disconnected green wire.

At the moment I can't find any marks as to where the lose wire is supposed to go.

Maybe with some and time and research I'll be able to figure it out but I was hoping that someone

over here could tell me.

I hope my two images are attached.....

Thanks in advance,

Walter

I am currently cleaning up the ignition switch but I have what might be an important question. And that is I might have forgot where the plate with the three Triangle Contacts are supposed to be located? Mine is an 02 LM. Thank You. :)

Did you ever get your Ignition Switch back together J_G?

Sorry to say nope as I have not had a chance. Crazy time of year you know. :( So look out for sharp objects before one sticks there neck out lol. Word to the wise for the day.:)

I am currently cleaning up the ignition switch but I have what might be an important question. And that is I might have forgot where the plate with the three Triangle Contacts are supposed to be located? Mine is an 02 LM. Thank You. :)

V11 Ign Sw Inside.jpg

Does this help?

• Like 2