What's leaking?

jwh20

Looks like the left side plate of your transmission cover is weeping.  Has it been of to replace the shifter springs?  Try just snugging up the screws first.  If the leak persists replace the gasket.

Looks like the left side plate of your transmission cover is weeping.  Has it been of to replace the shifter springs?  Try just snugging up the screws first.  If the leak persists replace the gasket.

Yes, it has.  The PO had the classic shift-return spring failure and changed it out (or had it done, not sure) but I know it was done and he also gave me a couple of spares along with the bike.

Ok, I'll try to tighten this down a bit and see if that stops it.  The bike has been sitting in one spot for about 3 weeks and there was a drip on the floor about the size of a nickle.  So it's not really leaking very quickly.

Thanks!!  Really nice here in Central Indiana today and had the V11 out for a nice ride!  FINALLY Spring seems to be springing!

• 2 weeks later...

There's no gasket on my 02 V11 leMans - I've been in often enough to know :homer: but it has always sealed well using Blue Hylomar.  I've always felt that the cap head screws are tempting to over torque - beware, I'd rather have a small leak than a stripped thread in the casing.

I checked the torque of all the screws and they were all where they were supposed to be.  It's probably just a bad application of sealant or something.  It's leaking so little that I'm just going to live with it for now.  I'm sure that I'll eventually have to get into the shifter mechanism and I can seal it up right then.

For now I can live with a drop or two a week which is about the rate it's going.