Loose, Rattling Front Crossover on 2003 V11 LeMans

Rhino1

So, I just noticed that the front crossover on my LeMans is rattling...  It's loose enough that it clangs against the cover...  Is welding an option?  Does it make sense to just replace the headers with an "older" set without the front crossover?  

Argh!   I'm trying to convince myself that I don't NEED a newer Guzzi (I love my Rosso Corsa, but there is a newer version that is appealing...).  \

Anyone out there have a set of headers for sale?  :)

Have you tried taking the bike to an exhaust fabricator? They might be able to work up something for you to replace or eliminate the front crossover.

Have you tried taking the bike to an exhaust fabricator? They might be able to work up something for you to replace or eliminate the front crossover.

Yup, I might have to do that.  Any good muffler shop worth its salt should be able to weld-up the stainless headers--the only issue I would have is big, ugly welds hanging out there for everyone to see :)

You could hide the welds with Coca-Cola cans and hose clamps. That would look nice with the Rossa Corsa.

Seriously though, a good shop should be able to make a new crossover... unless the break is at the mount. If do you have to get it welded, you could wrap between the down-tubes with ceramic header tape (black tape might make it visually disappear).

Hello Rhino, I recently had the crosspipe removed  on my 04 and it was very quick and easy, he used a piece from the actual crosspipe to patch onto each hole of the downpipes. The finish looked great, however I had them ceramic coated, cant see the difference either way! 

• Like 1

Doesn't the crossover provide more torque at low rpm ?

No.

Agreed; a nefarious factory "solution" for complaints of "flat spots" and such. If you want your V11 to have a tractable power band, practice the complete tune-up, ride, repeat. Lovely!

Doesn't the crossover provide more torque at low rpm ?

No.

Agreed; a nefarious factory "solution" for complaints of "flat spots" and such. If you want your V11 to have a tractable power band, practice the complete tune-up, ride, repeat. Lovely!

I agree.  Besides, it just seems to make for more unnecessary complexity/issues to address a problem that may or may not exist on this big, fat V-Twin... 

I like the idea of using the existing crossover to patch, and then maybe ceramic coat...