Thinking About a 2000 V11 Sport

mjptexas

I posted this on Wild Guzzi so some of you have already seen this and responded.

Considering adding this to the gaggle.

http://af1racingaustin.com/used-inventory/2000-v11-sport

I've ridden the bike. It runs strong, shifts easily, great brakes, pretty good cosmetically considering the mileage. Dealer is replacing the broken tach and will check out the oil light which is MIA when you turn on the ignition. Someone suggested having the dealer check out the recall/warranty work which I will ask about.

Main concern (other than the price) is the mileage. I know it's a Guzzi, but 58,000 is still a bunch of miles. I see this as a good news/bad news situation - good news being the Guzzi glitches should be sorted out. Bad news is its probably ripe for the raft of maintenance requirements that go with high mileage bikes.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

This bike is not worth anymore then $2000-2200. And only after everything is fixed. Af1 are knowledgeable bunch but their prices are most expensive for everything including parts. They actually charge 15-20% over full list which I think is way too expensive.

Mike- still trying to decide?  Once all the recalls and tach are sorted out,  the shifter pawl spring is one failure item.  When it goes the bike locks in gear.  The spring is cheap but the replacement is a few hours.  I keep a spare with me but probably couldn't fix it myself.  

Mike- still trying to decide?  Once all the recalls and tach are sorted out,  the shifter pawl spring is one failure item.  When it goes the bike locks in gear.  The spring is cheap but the replacement is a few hours.  I keep a spare with me but probably couldn't fix it myself.

Still thinking about it. going to let it simmer until after MotoGP weekend. Too much work to get done.

Still thinking about it. going to let it simmer until after MotoGP weekend. Too much work to get done.

I was thinking you'd get it before Moto GP so could surprise me.

My wife's V11 is just like that one. Hers has a little more miles, a different exhaust, and a few other detail differences, but it is pretty much that bike.

Hers has been, and continues to be, an excellent motorcycle.

As to the price, that seems like an average price. Maybe it is even a good price as they usually cost a little more from a dealer.

What kind of "high mileage maintenance" are you concerned about?

My concerns related to older/high mileage bikes fall in the following  four categories:

1. Bearings - primarily steering head, swing arm and wheel bearings. 
  2. Electrical - connectors, relays, switches 
  3. Leaking seals - usually the result of sitting a long time without running.  (Doesn't seem to be the case with this bike as the dealer actually has it on the show room floor)
  4. Mechanical, primarily valves - requiring grinding/replacement/headwork.

Things just wear out.  I don't have a good gauge as to if there is a specific point where you hit this on a well maintained V11.

I think those are all reasonable concerns regardless of the miles, with the exception of the valves. The prevailing opinion that valves and guides would be a big issue with the V11 seems not to have materialized.

My wife's V11 had issues with the valves and valve guides. It caused the motor to burn a small amount of oil. It did not seem to hurt the way it ran. We had the heads off for performance modifications, so we had new valves and guides installed. Not particularly hard or expensive, I pulled the heads and gave them to the shop to do. A couple hundred dollars as I recall. This was around 30k miles, it now has twice that.

I don't know if it is a common issue, it would be easy to have the issue and not notice. But if you have an issue with no real symptoms from it is it really an issue.

As to AF1, with Aprilia parts they have often a great price. I don't know how they are with Guzzi's, but they are the go to Aprilia dealer in the USA. 

Dealers are always going to be more expensive than private sellers, but they have overhead the private seller does not. And you have typically more assurance that you are getting what you paid for from a dealer.

• 3 months later...

So after 4 months the V11 fever hadn't gone away, so this ended up in my garage tonight:

1CEEEC55-CDB3-4E00-9498-342F8766ABF7_zps

ED7ED5A4-B040-4956-BA6E-1F0C6497855E_zps

BAC3217C-5A1E-4159-91A6-4D867020115A_zps

2004 Billabio - Sorry about the  quality of the pictures but it was about dark when I got home.  

Other than the a broken speedometer its in pretty decent shape.  I've only ridden it about 20 miles so too early to offer any observation or opinions.