Straighten Bent Half Bars

Scud

I've been having a hard time finding new bars for the clip-ons, but I had a set of bent, stock bars. So I decided to try to straighten them out. I heated them in the oven, then worked them in a large vise with some metal brackets positioned so I could apply pressure to the most noticeably bent section.

Here are some before, during, and after pictures.

I'd still be happy to buy a pair of used or reproduction half-bars, but at least I got to remove the PO's home-made bar riser setup.

The end result is not perfectly straight; they still have a little wobble when rolled on a flat surface. However, they are straight enough to use until I can find a different set - and I can use the stock bar-end weights.

Here's the before pic:

IMG_3014.jpg

Here's how I clamped the warm bars in a vise

IMG_3015.jpg

And here's the end result.

IMG_3016.jpg

The bars are solid from the inboard end to a little bit past where they exit the bar-clamp. They are hollow (but thick walled) from that point on - to the threaded ends that accept the stock bar-end weights. Even heated, I needed a lot of force to straighten them. I used a floor-jack handle over the bench-vise handle for extra leverage. Had to push them a little past straight to get them to release straight (that's why I put the angle brackets in the vise).

I thought about going to a machine shop - maybe have a few sets made up at one time. Fabrication of something like these is outside my current skills (and I don't have any machine tools). Maybe it's a low demand item, but it seems there could be a little business opportunity for someone to make these. I mentioned it to a guy at Harper's Moto Guzzi today when I ordered the billet shift lever that they manufacture.

Here in Lower Middle Mule Town there is a scale of difficulty for jobs like "cold pressing" (*bending*) delicate Italian parts of unknown metallurgy:

1) Vice and a beer.

2) Vice, beer(s), hammer(s)

3) Vice, heat, hammers, friends, beers.

4) Vice, heat, hammers, moonshine, friends, beers, moonshine, cheaterbars, >step5:

5) Next morning: order new parts;

Empirical evidence prevails! :luigi::bier::drink:

• Haha 1