Replacement Clutch for a Tenni

Paradiso

Hi, I have a 2002 Le Mans Tenni and the clutch is slipping and getting worse by the day.  The bike has only got 13 800 miles on the clock. Sadly, only 800 of those were done by me.

There's no sign of oil at the gearbox/engine union.  I tried the lever adjuster, but that didn't have any effect.

I've had a quick trawl of the clutch replacement threads.  I've changed a BMW clutch before, but I'm not too sure I'm up to doing this one.

Can anyone give any insight on the availability of parts and the options for replacement.  I haven't taken it apart yet, but I'm thinking it would be a case of replacing clutch friction plate and pressure plate. Am I correct in thinking like for like parts for the single plate clutch aren't available?

Had a look and Gutsibits have a complete replacement RAM clutch, though I haven't checked on availability yet.  Any wisdom appreciated.

Simon

Do you know mileage to be correct?

Operating mech/adjustment?

Friction plate ...or...

Some Tenni/Scura have had flywheel crack around centre & fall apart - a search here should show plenty of info on this.

Given the known flywheel issues, I would stop riding it until you figure the problem.

You can remove engine or you can remove trans to get at clutch - I removed engine cos I thought it was easier.

You can replace with RAM kit (I did), or get a twin plate unit as used in rest of series (most do). There's a current thread on this.

Search Scura clutch (same clutch as Tenni AFAIK) will show up loads of stuff on all of this.

I have old MOTs which seem to verify mileage.  I adjusted the lever/play, but it made no difference.  It disengages fine, which seems to suggest the operating mechanism is working OK.  I 've just lost drive progressively over a few days.  There aren't any unpleasant or unusual noises (beyond the normal clutch rattle).

Having looked at the other threads, the plan is to remove the engine. 

If I can get a RAM unit, I think that's the way I'll go.  Did you need a tool to lock/compress the springs to remove the old clutch?  The RAM one seems to come ready assembled, which means I could manage without a tool to centre the clutch (?).

I had a look at the manual and there's not a lot of detail.  I'll have a good look at the old threads and I should be able to muddle through. 

Cheers

Simon, Just done this on a Scura, also a single plate clutch, the single friction plate is no longer available so we replaced it with a used twin plate assembly with new plates, you will need the flywheel and all the clutch parts inc a new spline hub, we could not find a new hub in the UK so got one from Teo Lamers, all the parts new come to about £1500, Gutsibits have got a complete used clutch for £380 plus £90 for new plates, we removed the engine and left the gearbox in place, if you need any more info just ask

we were told that the Ram clutch is not available, you don't need the alignment tool to take it apart but you need it to assemble the new twin plater

Blimey...£1500 is steep.  Looks like I'll have no choice but to mix and match.  I saw your thread.  I'll have another look.  Which tools did you need to complete the job? I might pick your brains once I get stuck in. I'll give Gutsibits a call.

I've spent more time 'spannering' than riding the bike so far...

Cheers

were told that the Ram clutch is not available

http://www.valpolini.com/index.php/home-en/prodotto?&fID=1036

I have always understood that the single disc clutch was on the models Rosso Mandello, Tenni and Scura. So this should be the one if you want to continue with a single disc and keep the Tenni as Tenni (and change the clutch always after some 10-15.000 miles). But who am I to say anything about this... I had to also have the clutch changed to the standard 2 disc version...

probably plenty £££££

When I have had a look at single disc clutch prices, they have always been surprisingly low. Around 290£ the complete package or so. This is why I have thought that if I would have the enthusiasm to change the complete package always after each 10.000 miles, I would use the single disc RAM.  Just to have the "original Scura feel", which is not possible with any dual disc clutch...  About the availability - I have not asked myself, I just noticed that it is on their lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.  Valpolini didn't have the single plate clutch.  I think Ram still make them, but in small numbers and there's a lead time. 

I removed the engine and the original single plate clutch tonight,  There wasn't any oil leak, but the friction plate was very worn.  Less than 15 000 miles isn't much life from a clutch.  I'm going to call about to see if I can locate a Ram cluch.  If I get no joy, I'll get a second hand twin plate clutch.

Thanks for keeping this updated. I've still got the original flywheel in my Scura and know that some sort of update is looming.

You need a special socket to remove and replace the hub nut and don't forget the lock washer tab before undoing it

there's a special tool to hold the gearbox shaft but I managed without it, I used a rattle gun but you can hold it with the old clutch plate if you don't have one