Replacement Clutch for a Tenni

Paradiso

I haven't done a modern clutch yet but to hold my Eldorado I used an old clutch plate, I drilled a hole near the circumference and added a strap from there to a starter bolt hole, worked great.

You can assemble without any special tools although if you can borrow an alignment tool it will make life easy, I made a crude tool from a scrap of Aluminium.

I don't think you will need the special socket for the hub nut, there's no need to take that apart but if you do just take to a regular socket with an angle grinder

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the engine and the original single plate clutch tonight,  There wasn't any oil leak, but the friction plate was very worn.  Less than 15 000 miles isn't much life from a clutch.

What about having the friction plate resurfaced? They do that w/ car clutches. Yes, I'm aware it may be less than optimal, but if you're looking at replacing the unit anyway, this may get you back on the road while you wait for a good deal/save up money for the replacement parts?.. And btw, you can have it resurfaced with real clutch material instead of the fossilized parmesan Luigi used on the original while you're at it! ;)

I'm awaiting delivery of a replacement, but I did think of this. You don't hear about it much with regard to motorcycle clutches.

It's normal to replace the pressure plate and spring, but these must still be serviceable after so few miles. The alloy flywheel looks unmarked, though I haven't had it tested in any way.

I'm awaiting delivery of a replacement, but I did think of this. You don't hear about it much with regard to motorcycle clutches.

It's normal to replace the pressure plate and spring, but these must still be serviceable after so few miles. The alloy flywheel looks unmarked, though I haven't had it tested in any way.

How could the aluminum flywheel be tested? I know of "Magnaflux" testing, but think this is only for ferrous materials . . .

Good question about the aluminum flywheel .Contact a machine shop for help and explain about the flywheel history of these bikes .

I just spoke with someone at MG Cycle and placed an order for the complete RAM single plate clutch and flywheel assembly:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=2986

Apparently, they get these sporadically and fill orders as received (I'm first on the list as of today). They received and sold one earlier this month, but are not sure when they will get more. He said he uses this clutch in 2 personal bikes and that they have lasted over 40,000 miles. He also said they keep improving the quality of the materials and there has been a recent upgrade to the friction plate. I didn't understand all the details, but he said the clutch plate has a lot more material than the stock Tenni/Scura unit.

Here's the "benefit list" from the website:

1. Reduction of polar inertia moment (flywheel effect) which allows better engine acceleration especially from low rpm.
2. Reduction of the dragging effect of the engine (reverse torque) after release of the throttle.
3. Reduction of vibration thanks to perfect balancing of the entire assembly which is not possible with the original clutch.
4. Reduced hand lever pressure resulting in less hand fatigue.
5. Increased precision and rapidity of clutch engagement and disengagement. 
6. More progressive clutch engagement.
7. Increased ability to transmit higher torque and horsepower.
8. Lower wear of the clutch disk with reduced maintenance.
9. Fewer parts (no intermediate plate, no second friction plate) subject to wear.
10. Ease of assembly, gearbox can be fitted to engine without centering of the clutch disk.
Kits are complete as shown including: flywheel, new deep spline clutch hub, friction plate, spring plate, pressure plate, and flywheel bolts.

I've ordered the RAM unit myself. I'll hopefully receive it shortly. From what I was told, the company that make them rely on Moto Guzzi to manufacture some of the parts. Not sure which parts, but it would explain the limited availability. I got myself a 2008 BMW F800S locally so that I'd still have a bike on the road while waiting to do the clutch, so at least I can enjoy the improving weather.

I'm still waiting for the clutch to arrive, but I've got the socket to remove the clutch spline. Am I right in thinking that putting the gearbox in gear, and some weight over the rear wheel, and loosening it that way is ok?

Got the new Ram clutch in the post.d51fc48af7923c69a44bf6341a47501a.jpg

e2be4700f64314e203eca73b99fc3edf.jpg

New one is heavier than the original. 4.8 kg compared to 4.17kg. Alloy flywheel looks smaller, but the starter ring and the pressure plate seem more substantial. Hopefully get the engine back in over the next few days.

Well, that was a false dawn. It would appear that I've been sent the wrong clutch. The clutch centre has a finer spline-maybe from a 5 speed? Also, the diameter of the cup for the pushrod is too narrow to accomodate the pushrod. Not sure which model it is for.

I did clean up the old clutch and the alloy flywheel does appear to have a fine crack or maybe two starting to appear, which may be a worry for Tenni and Scura owners.

2d9c9952473e16eea0b00856b9aa7241.jpg

The bike has only done a verifiable 15 000 miles.

Bummer about getting the incorrect part - but glad you identified the weakness before it could cause further damage.

I'm planning to make my Scura's flywheel into garage art - but I figure I can squeeze out a few more miles first. Verifiable 6,000 miles on it now.