Installing new TLM speedo cable

Gottagetone

Recently my 60* angle gear that comes out of the gear box and attaches to the speedo cable cratered.  I tried to order another and found that Guzzi, in all their brilliance, discontinued that part.  I found that TLM out of the Netherlands had a replacement that included the cable and all so I placed my order.  The cable cost about $38 plus another $38 in shipping.  It took about three weeks to arrive but its here and installed....below are pics,

The cable in its packaging:

IMG_3576_zpstop6ktls.jpg

Removing the old cable from the back of the cluster...I have messing with the cluster:

IMG_3578_zpsd1cggb3e.jpg

Removed the old cable from the gear box and 60* angel drive and taped the end of the cable to the other so I could pull it through:

IMG_3579_zpsi3a2u4gk.jpg

The pull through worked for the most part but I did have to go ahead and pull my tank to make it a bit easier.  I also had to unbolt the headlight.  Pulling the tank allowed me to clean the K&N filter and make sure everything else looked okie dokie:

IMG_3581_zpszzeaqyuz.jpg

after a bit of maneuvering I was able to pull the cable through.  From that point is was just to hook everything back up and go for a ride.

IMG_3577_zpsxf4io8j2.jpg

My next concern is the angle gear in the back of the speedo.....but for now all is good!

Excellent! Thanks for posting this!

How about a pic of the cable hooked to the gearbox? I have been assuming it's a 'bent tube' affair similar to the later ITI style cable.How much clearance is there for the throttle rod?

As i recall, that is the point at which the ITI/ Gen II V11 cable is vulnerable to break.

What kind of cable lube did you use?

The upper angle drives comes str8 out of the back of the gauge and this cable attaches directly to it.  You can see in the pic above where I unscrewed the old cable, thats where the new one screwed in and yes it fits just like the old one.  I do expect at some point that the existing angle drive will crap out then I don't know what will happen.  

When mine broke I contemplated removing the angle drive then I realized the angle drive changes direction so it's a pair or none.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Reading threads like these is what sent me down the aftermarket path to replace the ITIs on my LeMans. If (aka when) the Veglias quit on the Scura I'm not going to try to fix them. I see from the photos that Gottagetone's doesn't even have 7,000 miles on it.

Not trying to be a downer.  I do hope the new cable provides a long-term fix.

When mine broke I contemplated removing the angle drive then I realized the angle drive changes direction so it's a pair or none.

Sent from my shoe phone!

That's what I thought, but doesn't gottagetone still run the top angle drive and the bottom is gone?

Yes, I run the top angle drive into the speedo but not the bottom.  I didn't try but I don't think running the new cable into the back of the speedo would work as it would be a sharp 90* angle into the speedo which would not fit in the housing and would probably not allow the cable to spin with such a sharp turn.  

The old cable might well have run straight into the gear box but I think it would have been stretching the cable a good bit and it would have been very close if not laying on the head.  

I stand corrected, normally when you have one gear driving another they rotate in opposite directions but this is a gear and worm you can have it the same way.

My days of struggling with those cables are over thank goodness :oldgit: