Pink mufflers advise needed

Walterg

Last year I bought a 2003 Le Mans. It came with the original mufflers. I asked the guy why he bought the bike with pink mufflers. He said they were black originally but turned pink over time.

Can this be true ?
And is there a way to replace or get rid of the pink colour (without buying a new set) ?

I bought the bike with 49000 km's (30000 miles) on it.

Advertentie_Jos-7.jpg

Walter

Yes, it can be true - and you are not alone, I've seen pictures of other bikes with pink mufflers. The pink sleeve should slide off after you remove the end cap, hanger bracket, and passenger foot protector. I think the sleeve is anodized aluminum - and the heat and sun made it fade. You could probably have the sleeve re-anodized, plated, coated, or painted.  Maybe you could find a few local shops, drive the bike by and ask their advice.

I am in the process of having mine Hydro Plated. I purchased a second pair off of Ebay and swapped the Carbon Fibre sleeves for my dark purple exhaust.......Looking forward to a new look! Good Luck. The process my Hydro Plating guys uses is Prep, Primer Plate and Then Clear Coat,  costing me about 200. I didn't think it was all that steep considering the lengths we discussed he would go to make it look perfect. 

I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to make a fashion statement but I've heard real men aren't afraid to wear pink.

Thanks everyone for the tips ! I'll look into them and see what can be done over here.

• 4 weeks later...

I got lucky and managed to get my hands on a pair of 'almost new' carbon Lafranconi pipes.

Na_IMG_0299-2-3.jpg

I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to make a fashion statement but I've heard real men aren't afraid to wear pink.

Superman's favourite colour that.

I'm thinking about shortening the pink ones for (hopefully) a better sound and then paint/anodize them. Someone on this forum shortened his pipes and

posted that in here somewhere...  I'll try to find that post...

Correct - pre-shortened by PO and I like the look and sound. I've been saving a link to this thread in case I get motivated to disassemble and try to improve the appearance of the exhaust:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13524

Maybe that will help.  Best advice is on the second page.   :bier:

Thanks for the links guys. Very helpfull.

I now know what to drink when working on my bike... :grin:

I replaced the packing of my Fireblade last year and the construction and the inside of the pipes look just the same so I should not have any problems (yeah, right!).

Well, guess who got fooled ? ............Again.......!

I took off the outer sleeve and found out that everything is welded up inside.....!

If I cut into the muffler now I won't know what I'll be cutting and maybe destroying. Any ideas as to what's inside ? Exactly ?

IMG_0336-3.JPG

IMG_0337-3.JPG

IMG_0338-3.JPG