Shift Lever Replacement

alkemy0001

Hello,

The shift lever for my V11 Lemans 2004 broke in to two, I am trying to find the replacement for it, can somebody in the forum help me with the replacement part number and how do I replace it. Is it replaceable with out removing the shield plate near the foot rest?

thanks

`S

My advice is to call either Harpers or MG Cycle.  If they don't have it, they can get it.  If they can't get it, it's not available.

I'm not sure if the 2004 is different than my 2002 but here is the part diagram for the 2002.  See if it looks familiar:

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-1100-2002/gear-lever-en-v11-lemans-1100-2002.html

Harpers has a pretty sweet home made shift lever. Bout the same price as Guzzis. Shouldn't have to remove anything but the linkage.

I used the Harpers when I replaced mine.  It is much higher quality.  The factory piece on mine was a pretty spongy casting.

I recently bought a 2003 that had been down. This welded gear-shift lever was in the box of spare parts. I reinstalled it (after removing a different set up). I also ordered the replacement lever from Harper's, which I am expecting any day now.

IMG_3170.jpg

For your situation, it may be possible to weld the lever if you don't mind it a little shorter (as in the picture). I thought it would bug me, but it works fine.

As soon as my new lever arrives, I could be easily persuaded to part with this welded lever, send me a PM if you want it.

I don't know your situation, but if the bike has been down, be aware of other potential damage to the related parts. I had a very hard time getting the lever back on until I realized that the long pivot bolt was bent and the frame tab that the pivot bolt goes to was bent. Both bends were very slight, but they were enough to make it impossible to get the bolt started without cross-threading. I pitched the bent pivot bolt, but I also have a spare straight one if you need it.

• Like 1

I recently bought a 2003 that had been down. This welded gear-shift lever was in the box of spare parts. I reinstalled it (after removing a different set up). I also ordered the replacement lever from Harper's, which I am expecting any day now.

attachicon.gifIMG_3170.jpg

For your situation, it may be possible to weld the lever if you don't mind it a little shorter (as in the picture). I thought it would bug me, but it works fine.

As soon as my new lever arrives, I could be easily persuaded to part with this welded lever, send me a PM if you want it.

I don't know your situation, but if the bike has been down, be aware of other potential damage to the related parts. I had a very hard time getting the lever back on until I realized that the long pivot bolt was bent and the frame tab that the pivot bolt goes to was bent. Both bends were very slight, but they were enough to make it impossible to get the bolt started without cross-threading. I pitched the bent pivot bolt, but I also have a spare straight one if you need it.

I tried to weld mine and the spongy aluminum collapsed on me.  Admittedly my skills at welding aluminum leave a lot to be desired but that metal was really poor.

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifIMG_3170.jpg

Hello,

I was able to contact Harper's and order the Shift Lever, must have it this Tuesday, just wondering if you managed to replace the welded lever with the one from Harpers as you mentioned in your post. See I'm trying to figure out how to replace the entire shift lever without removing the shield that covers the lever and is attached to the foot rest. If you can help me figure this out. I did download the diagram from harpers but it looks like the entire shield needs to come out. Maybe I'm missing something....

I was absent minded and did not realize the stand was not in place, the bike tilted/rested enough on my left leg to break the shift lever. Hopefully there is no other damage..

thanks

'S

To remove shift lever:

1. Disconnect shift linkage from lever.
  2. Remove nut from the end of the pivot bolt - this is the "trick" - the pivot bolt goes through the "shield" (aka porkchop) to a tab on the frame. The pivot bolt threads into that tab, then a nut goes over the end of the pivot bolt's exposed threads to lock it in place. I used a socket on a long extension with a u-joint to access it from the RH side - all the way through the bike. Once the retaining nut is off, the rest is easy.
  3. Then remove the pivot bolt (allen wrench) and the shift lever will slide right out.