Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

I might put  blob of epoxy on those exposed wires.

I think I asked before, but where did you get those reservoirs? Slick.

Do you mean the wires on the oil pressure sender? I think they are already coming out of a blob of something.

Reservoirs:  

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18967&page=4

There are a bunch of options that I don't use, such as.

• 0-60 time - who cares?
  • Top speed - I'd rather not have that recorded, thank-you.
  • I think I did see altitude on one of the screens. Interesting, but I know the approximate altitude most of the time anyway.

I just thought GPS was kind of cool - and it saved me from doing one additional task of figuring out the local signal (as you did). I leave it on the same screen all the time - the only thing I care about is how many total miles and how many miles since my last fill-up.

@Chamberlin - I'm going to make it to Oro Valley one day and you will be morally obligated to put some miles on that V11.

Hahaha probably not your kind of miles Scud (1000's per weekend!), but it would be a great honor to put down a couple hundred with you here in Tucson! Lots of neat places to go in my area.

Also Roy, aside from the items mentioned above, my favorite reason to go to the GPS version was to snub my nose at my Italian fratelli, bypassing at least one of the many 'medieval' mechanical devices on the bike. If the ITI clocks were Swiss made for example, I'd do what is necesary to "keep a cable in 'em". But after reading about how fragile they were, the incorrect math on some of the tumblers, and issues with the transmission/cable interface, It was a no brainer to me replace the gauges with a fully electronic GPS version. It was also nice to not have to run a Hall-effect sensor to someplace on the wheel etc.Somebody paid a lot of money to put those 24 satellites up there...might as well take atvantage!

• Like 2

I have to say I really like these gauges, and the various options they offer, especially when so many functions are packed into one or two gauges neatly.  As long as my Veglias hold up I won't bother, but if they fail or start to look rough I may have to put these gauges on my list.

Thanks for the detailed instructions and review.  It will be very helpful for anyone following in your footsteps.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I did get a chance to install the speedometer on the Ballabio this weekend.  My installation certainly isn't as elegant as Scud's or Chamberlin's, but it is functional.

Here's a shot of the gauge in place.  I decided to just do the speedometer and not the tach.  Now that I see them side by side I'm likely to replace the tach sooner than later.

F10DD2F6-9B80-4E4D-B47F-8B4E3CE100B8_zps

Here's another shot.  The black blob to the left of the speedometer is the GPS antenna taped to the fairing.  You will see the selection button below the clutch reservoir.  I put it there for easy access.  

23F3236D-2A06-4EE7-840A-7576A9CCB030_zps

Close up of the GPS antenna.  I'll probably get around to tidying up the mounting - someday.

E2DF9D0F-2D35-4EBA-B5FD-4301507B5908_zps

Here's the mounting for the selector button.  This was simply a steel bracket from Home Depot cut down to two holes.

E4F81100-3E66-4725-90C5-63A61AFFA77E_zps

The GPs works great.  It takes about a minute for it to acquire the signal after I roll the bike out of the garage.  It's easy to cycle through the options with the button.   

We'll see how this works out long term.

Glad it worked out well for you. The Speedhut gauge makes the ITI look like the ugly sister, doesn't it?

If you decide to the tach and prefer different options (colors, logos, etc), they will rebuild your speedo to match at the same time for a very reasonable price.

Get the remote button on the tach too. But there's no reason to mount that one anywhere, just use it once for set up.

You know, it's pretty common to see pictures of Guzzis with hammers in the background, but "Heavy Duty Sawszall?" :o

That oughta do it! B)

You know, it's pretty common to see pictures of Guzzis with hammers in the background, but "Heavy Duty Sawszall?" :o

That oughta do it! B)

Well, Sawszall modifications may not be pretty, but they are quick  :rasta:

That oughta do it! B)

Well, Sawszall modifications may not be pretty, but they are quick  :rasta:

Right?

DSCN3150.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

​ just received my Speedhut gauges, and can't wait to install them in spring, as it will be a high of -2 on Sunday.

Thanks again to Kiwiroy and the others for all of the help!

Here's what they look like uninstalled...I connected a 9V battery to see what they looked like in the dark.

Ken

p.s. the original Tron movie is on as I post this...

Hard to see, but I went with yellow ticks from 7k-7.75k RPM, and red starting at 8K.

IMG_8088_zpsrvvys3qz.jpg

I went with the dark blue night color:

IMG_8090_zps6arqlsff.jpg 

• Like 2

Looking sharp. Very clever with the yellow and red ticks. Our collective design work is getter better with each iteration.

Why wait for spring to install? That looks like a nice cold-day project.

Looking sharp. Very clever with the yellow and red ticks. Our collective design work is getter better with each iteration.

Why wait for spring to install? That looks like a nice cold-day project.

Whoa there! California cold is way different than Wisconsin cold!  :D A high of -2F today, but if I get a day above freezing, I'm all over this project. Keep in mind that I'm going the KiwiRoy method and building my own MPH sending unit vs. the GPS unit...

Ken

While you're about it consider tidying up the gauge cover, I used a strip of 3/4" masking tape as a cutting guide.

For some reason I am unable to patch on a photobucket image

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Dash%20V11%20Sport?sort=3

I shortened the cover by 3/4"

Cut off the square extension where the speedo drive came out and blocked the hole with bondo.

Threw away the old idiot light holders and replaced the lamps with LEDs soldered in, I think I shortened the bulb shroud about 5/8"

My V11 is pretty ratty but I am proud of the gauges, I have my oil pressure gauge (regular Bourdon tube) mounted on the damper bracket.

Whoa there! California cold is way different than Wisconsin cold! 

But last week it hailed so hard that it accumulated in the crown of my sago palm. Heck, it even knocked some of the flowers off my orchid tree. You can see a few flower petals mixed in with the hail. Brrrrr.... Then the sun came out.   :whistle:

IMG_4380.jpg

Sorry, snow-bound guys. I couldn't resist.

Back on topic - if I ever need my gauges serviced, I am taking that idea about the yellow and red ticks. I wonder if they could put a small KPH ring inside the MPH ring of the speedo. Or maybe a big KPH ring and little MPH ring for a little more Italian flavor?

• 1 month later...

Not wanting to use the GPS speedo from speed hut, I was bound and determined to use the sped gear drive in the tranny. Kiwi Roy had a great idea using the brass bolt and a reed switch, but I was having difficulties filing the brass bolt to a perfect shape.

I found a GM electronic sending unit from Dakota Digital, and figured I could make it work. Dakota said it was compatible with the speed hut guage, so I ordered one (aprox. $30 USD). When it arrived, it was much bigger than I expected, but I thought if I could make it work and painted it black, nobody would notice. 

I had to make it fit into the gear drive bolt which would require some mods to the bolt (enlarging the top opening where the cable would enter). A call to my friend Joe that works in a machine shop would solve this issue. I didn't want to use the original, in case it wouldn't work, so Scud sold his spare to me. Turns out that it should work quite nicely, so here's some pics of what I did.

Also, my friend Joe said he could make these if somebody wanted some, and they would have an inner thread in which to screw in the GM sender. I would need a minimum order of 6, and cost would be about $50 each, but probably less than that.

Ken

Had to fit the brass tip of the sender into the housing to it would clear the throttle linkage. Otherwise, it would be too tall.

s1_zpstanixanw.jpg

Here's how the sender fits after the larger hole is made. I didn't want Joe to drill deeper, as there's an internal stop for the gear.

s7_zpsfrncwumm.jpg

The housing that holds the speedo drive gear in the tranny. The embiggened hole is on the left. Thanks again to Scud for selling me his old one!

s2_zps7tm2q0ht.jpg

A quick check to see if it would work. The Guzzi thread is obviously metric, whilst the GM sender is SAE thread. I have a metric nut on the bottom, and an SAE nut on top. Luckily, the GM sending unit gets about 3 full turns into the metric nut, and I use the SAE nut as a lock nut. My friend Joe's creation would eliminate the need for the 2 nuts, as the sending unit would thread right into the housing that he would make.

s4_zpsmtvotosh.jpg

A bird's eye view:

s5_zpscmqvob0n.jpg

• Like 2