Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

Glad it worked out.

I see you had to make a metric to SAE conversion to mount it - but was there no problem between the drive gear and whatever it connects to inside the GM unit?

The sender will probably disappear when you paint it black.  :ninja:

Glad it worked out.

I see you had to make a metric to SAE conversion to mount it - but was there no problem between the drive gear and whatever it connects to inside the GM unit?

The sender will probably disappear when you paint it black.  :ninja:

There's a little 1/8" rod that connects to two pieces...just like the original speedo cable. With the Dakota sender, they include that rod, and I just need to cut it to length. Shouldn't be an issue.

If I paint the sender red, will it read a faster MPH? 

Ken

In this pic, the sender has a cable "pass through" so that you could still use your original cable. I bought the version without this feature.

gmsender_zpsekojwkpr.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go back to page 1 of this thread and see some of the wiring discussion/photos. I used the signal wire from the stock plug - I did not try to tap in near the coil as suggested. The stock plug has three wires - power, ground, and signal. I snipped off the stock connecter and used the three wires that were already run to the gauge.

Here's how I'm mounting my gauges.

8/32 tee nut epoxied to the back of the gauges with 2" long by 8/32 threaded rod. In retrospect, I wonder if Speedhut would install a mounting stud in these at the time of ordering? That would really simplify things. 

Ken

I wrapped some tape around the gauges to center it in the cup.

IMG_8452_zpskizeoovh.jpg

IMG_8456_zpsp5mnlwmg.jpg

• Like 2

Go back to page 1 of this thread and see some of the wiring discussion/photos. I used the signal wire from the stock plug - I did not try to tap in near the coil as suggested. The stock plug has three wires - power, ground, and signal. I snipped off the stock connecter and used the three wires that were already run to the gauge.

Did you install the resistor as recommended by Speedhut? Seems strange that it needs to be connected to a 12VDC+ source. 

Connecting the ECU to another pos. power supply kind of worries me, but I have very limited electrical back ground.

Ken

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%2012.58.

In posts 13 and 14 of this thread I tried to explain/document the wiring I used.

I did not use the resistor - I only tapped into existing wires in the dash. One of the three wires that goes with the existing tach plug carries the signal - the red wire with black strip in my hand in post #13. You'll KiwiRoy's explanation of those wires in earlier posts. - that's how I knew to use that wire.

I think Speedhut's instructions assume that you are adding a tach and that there is no existing signal wire.

Thanks Scud!

I just called Speedhut to inquire about why they do this, and they said it's used to amplify the signal from the ECU, as some ECU's have too weak of a signal for the Tach to recognize the pulses.

Knowing that others have installed without said resistor, I know mine will work fine without it. Just waiting for the weather to warm up some...my fingers don't enjoy wiring in 35f weather. 

Since I currently have the tank off, I'm contemplating running a separate feed for the gauges from my fuzeblock. That way I don't have to add a small fuse inside the gauge housing, and 2 less things connected to the light circuit.

Ken

The resistor is called a "Pull Up Resistor", sometimes electronic circuits don't provide Voltage they might just be a transistor or other solid state switch.

The resistor ensures that when the switch is open the tacho sees 12 Volts, when the switch is closed it seen nominal 0 Volts similar to a tach wired across a set of points.

I suspect the Guzzi ECU puts out 5 Volt pulses so the resistor is not required.

BTW, I thought the pulse input speedo would require something similar but it worked fine with just a reed switch, Speedhut thought of everything.

Since I currently have the tank off, I'm contemplating running a separate feed for the gauges from my fuzeblock. That way I don't have to add a small fuse inside the gauge housing, and 2 less things connected to the light circuit.

There a probably many equally effective ways of getting these wired in.  FWIW - I powered all 4 gauges from the wires that previously supplied two light bulbs in one of the ITI gauges. I used the fuse that Speedhut supplied - and tucked it inside the gauge housing.

Well, upon installing the gauges last night, the JB Weld broke off of the plastic that was holding the tee nuts in place. Instead of trying to redo it, I took the gauges apart and installed a threaded coupler on the outside, with a machine screw on the inside. Plenty of room in there, so no worries about anything touching. Damn, it sucks putting those back together perfectly.

I'll be using machine screws from the outside of the surround to keep it in place.

Ken

IMG_8509_zps62j30njh.jpg 

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to do a test ride and set the speedo and tach. 40f and drizzle, but I got it done. The Dakota Digital speed sensor works perfectly with no issues (yet). 

As far as the tach goes, set pulses to 2.

Since I have parts still out for powder coating, I had to make a temporary cover for the alternator. I used an old gallon container. 

IMG_8557_zpsptewli3l.jpg

Here's the Dakota Digital SEN 01-1 installed. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=620/prd620.htm

IMG_8556_zps1q38aqui.jpg

• Like 1

Love the milk jug! But still looking forward to the results of the powder-coating.

The speed sensor seems to have nearly vanished since you painted it black. :ninja:  Now you can also make the cable disappear.  :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

So I've just ordered my gauges from Speedhut. Actually this is my second order. I decided to be different. It sure was nice that they are having a sale through today. Anyway here is my template of my idea for the perfect gauge cluster. Now I have to find a buyer for my first set.

IMG_0288-X3.jpg

• Like 3