Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

Fourteen pages of stuff to digest takes a while so take your time. Seems the Veglia gauges can be sold in a snap. Palo Alto Speedometer bought my speedo but the tach broke and my repair botched rendering it junk. I happened across this indicating a different approach:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport-Custom-Aluminum-Gauge-Cluster-with-Koso-RX2N-Gauge-/162841932309

s-l1600.jpg

That’s fine as long you never have to look at it....

Ha!

:o  . . . :huh:  . . . :P

OTOH, these came out swimmingly, amstaf! :thumbsup:  Excellent the way you adapted the original gauge "cups."

post-8882-0-72714600-1533483113.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is that the ignition-on start-up cycle we are seeing?

• Like 1

Nope. The Speedhut only bump their needles slightly on initial activation (nothing spectacular like the late model Guzzi's full sweep and full illumination). This is the recorded max speed displayed digitally while the needle sweeps up to show the retained measure. :o

• 2 weeks later...

What size oil pressure and voltage gauges were used in the Le Mans fairing examples earlier in the thread that worked  well?

Speed Hut has 2 1/6" and 2 5/8".

Also, how do the gauges know the difference to switch between day and night lighting, since on US bikes we can't disable our head and running lights?  .....or is the night lighting in the gauges always on, but only noticeable when it gets dark?

Pressure and voltmeter were Scud's work, so we'll wait on his answer on the sizing.

Al, correct, the lighting is always on.  The faces and the needles are lit separately.

• 2 months later...

FYI, looks like the Speedhut line has been discontinued:

https://www.speedhut.com/about-speedhutgauges.html

gauges-speedhut-title.jpg

new_seal_warranty.png icon-madeinusa.png Speedhut Gauge Line: Discontinued  The "Speedhut" line is currently being phased out. For an alternative, please consider our more feature rich options like the Legacy or Revolution lines.

I don't know if they Legacy or Revolution are more expensive, but it appears they are the replacements and more "feature rich"?  You decide  :whistle:   ...but it appears that both the Legacy and Revolution are essentially the same thing (the speedos are identical), just with different sweep coverage and some warning lighting differences.

Is the following new?

• Hot start satellite acquisition allows GPS speedo to function within 2-3 seconds of power up

Pretty sure mine are "Legacy" and definitely have the "Hot start satellite acquisition", but I'll have to say it often takes up to ten seconds or more here in the rural Southern USA for satellite acquisition. During that time, the speedometer/odometer does not function and the trip meter (that I use for fuel range) is blank.

For example, if I key the Sport on in my shop and it cannot acquire, I cannot see how many miles I have on the last fuel fill up.

[edit: tonight, it took 10-15 minutes for the GPS to acquire in the shop which is deeply shielded by masonry walls, floors overhead, and some earth berming and A/C equipment just outside. Still, it did finally acquire even in this "basement." :thumbsup: ]

attachicon.gifIMG_3332.jpg

What size oil pressure and voltage gauges were used in the Le Mans fairing examples earlier in the thread that worked  well?

Speed Hut has 2 1/6" and 2 5/8".

That was my LeMans, which is gone to a new home now. I don't recall which size the oil and volt gauges were, but I would guess I used the smaller ones. For mounting, I simply used flexible metal strap from hardware store - formed into a bracket, then painted. I use a split rubber hose between the metal strap and the gauge cups.

• Like 1

So I wonder if the Speedhut fuel level gauge would function if wired serially into the V11 fuel warning light circuit?

And if so, for 2003+ tanks senders, would the incandescent bulb have to remain in the circuit?

https://www.speedhut.com/instructions/2in_and_258in_rev_fuel_level_instructions.pdf

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18919

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2017 at 3:53 PM, docc said:

Shall I remove this entire drive since I'm going GPS? Is there only the one little washer that could get loose in the gearbox, or is there another?

gallery_328_223_285675.jpeg

Well then, when removing the speedometer drive from the gearbox (for whatever reason), be it known that there are TWO thrust washers. The one shown above and the second I was lucky enough to find three years later hugging the magnetic drain plug :blink: . . .

IMG_3067.jpg

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

I was thinking that the gauges on the original LeMans would be a good inspiration for a custom design with Speedhut.

The RPM x 100 gives an interesting symmetry with the speedo - especially if tach is 0-80 in increments of 10, and the speedo is 0-160 MPH in increments of 20. (example in the photo is km/h). I also like the key-lines that divide the faces in quadrants.

IMG_1830D.jpeg

Some changes would have to be made for the digital display on the Speedhut speedo, but other than that, what do y'all think of these?

• Like 1