Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

Aren't the instruments protected by the outer cover?

Well, yes if the outer cover is sealed well enough (I tried!), but the electronic instruments are built like *transistor radios* and look to be made to mount in a dash panel of a car  . . .  so I tried to seal their leading edges (gauge "backs"). There is a large opening in the left side (speedometer) V11 cover for the cable drive. If you're in SoCal  or Arizona:  no worries . But I ride into really harsh weather at times. My installation seals the gauges themselves, the V11 instrument cover/"buckets", and mounts behind a (Stucchi bikini) fairing. I'm hoping for the best . . . .

I just noticed Docc you put the ACTUAL mileage into the odo, that's awesome!

Right? First time in four speedometers  (15 years) that the displayed odometer mileage is "actual." :thumbsup:

When I'm forced to Speedhuts I'll dust off the 3D printer and make some parts to help seal them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I'm forced to Speedhuts I'll dust off the 3D printer and make some parts to help seal them up.

Well, yeah . . . you know where to post your results!

Well, yeah . . . you know where to post your results!

Wild Guzzi?

[moderator edit: :whistle: ]

• Haha 1

Finally the money shot!!!

Thanks for the tip on setting the odometer too....I was going to do that on my bike, but the mileage was already an unknown to some extent as my ITI's were broken when I got the bike. So I decided to start fresh, being as the bike was totally overhauled! Sadly, the ODO still sits at a paltry 64 miles... I'm sure you will best that 4 times over on your first ride!

Thanks for being patient while I've worked through documenting the installation. Immense gratitude to all the members who have posted their efforts and results in this thread. :thumbsup::notworthy:

Great job!

If I understand correctly, you're using set screws (visible in post 159) to keep the back cover on. I like the idea of eliminating having to align those four threaded posts, but isn't the wall of the back cover pretty thin? I'm not "seeing" how the set screws are reliably captured. Am I missing something? Thx!

On 5/19/2017 at 1:15 PM, docc said:

Thanks for being patient while I've worked through documenting the installation. Immense gratitude to all the members who have posted their efforts and results in this thread. :thumbsup::notworthy:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2140.JPG.jpeg

Great job, looks very sharp.

I guess we have this years SSR Tech session ; Docc installing new gauges on a random V11 !

• Like 1

if memory serves me, there was some talk that SpeedHut would seal them up if you asked?? am I mis-remembering?

Upon request, Speedhut adds a silicone seal to the glass, but nothing for the backs. They told me some of their customers use silicone there. I decided to use the rubber caps and fitted tubing along with the RTV silicone and heat shrink.

Along with the mounting plate O-rings and sealing up the factory ABS gauge cover/"buckets".

Being as these are fine electronic instruments, I expect that they will not tolerate even one incident of soaking.

Finally the money shot!!!

Thanks for the tip on setting the odometer too....I was going to do that on my bike, but the mileage was already an unknown to some extent as my ITI's were broken when I got the bike. So I decided to start fresh, being as the bike was totally overhauled! Sadly, the ODO still sits at a paltry 64 miles... I'm sure you will best that 4 times over on your first ride!

Well, just 16 miles yesterday, but managed 80 today. Well, "80-ish?" :huh2:

The Veglia always read close to 2% more miles on the odometer than the Garmin Zumo GPS.  I suppose I expected these two GPS devices to be identical. The speed appears to be, but the Speedhut odometer is about 1.8% fewer miles than the Garmin. Perhaps it can be calibrated, but now I really don't know which one is more correct (if either). :huh2:

While the instruments are amazingly visible :thumbsup: , the LCD odometer is not. It takes quite a squint&stare to decipher the trip odometer which is what I use to plan fuel range/stops. The contrast adjustment only lowers the contrast and I don't think affects daylight function at all. :huh2:

Yet, I've never-ever been able to just glance at the needles and know my speed. The Veglia always danced around and always read high. So, speed had to be divined by taking an average of the sweep and subtracting 4-6 mph. So, these new dials are fabulous! :thumbsup:

That's two :thumbsup: and three :huh2:  . . . .  .  .  .  = :blink: ?

On 5/19/2017 at 10:43 PM, leroysch said:

Great job!

If I understand correctly, you're using set screws (visible in post 159) to keep the back cover on. I like the idea of eliminating having to align those four threaded posts, but isn't the wall of the back cover pretty thin? I'm not "seeing" how the set screws are reliably captured. Am I missing something? Thx!

Thanks, leroysch!

Actually the set screws are more to index the alignment of the gauges and keep them seated against the mounting plate. I used a clamp to "sandwich" the gauge, O-rings, and gauge cover when setting the set screws. The V11 gauge cover is thin enough out at that edge that I wouldn't trust them to hold it all together.

So, that's why I used the three rear-facing M4 x 50mm into the front of the warning light receptacle (I would have used 55mm if they were available). The V11 gauge cover ABS is pretty sturdy there, yet I would avoid over-tightening. While assembling, it was still quite fiddly to groom all the wiring inside so the cover would seat without forcing it (especially the lower fastener). Once in place, I held it with a clamp while securing the three main retention screws. Snugged the set screws to index the gauges last.

For the record: I'm not thrilled with the set screws. :glare:  One of them already threaded itself through the Speedhut case and I replaced it with a machine screw. That one is "reliably captured", now!

So, what is thinner: the V11 gauge cover or the Speedhut gauge backs? The Speedhut must be pretty thin. Not sure what *plastic* they are made of.

IMG_2162.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2166.JPG.jpeg

The small and hard-to-read trip meter is my only complaint. Maybe we should gang-up on Speedhut and see if they will create a display within their menu that is only the trip meter. I would love a big 3 digit trip meter that used the whole LCD display.

• Like 1

The small and hard-to-read trip meter is my only complaint. Maybe we should gang-up on Speedhut and see if they will create a display within their menu that is only the trip meter. I would love a big 3 digit trip meter that used the whole LCD display.

Truly. I've long thought that there are three simple parameters that motorcyclists would like prominently displayed that *car people* don't get:

1) Fuel Odometer

2) Voltage

3) Ambient temperature

• Like 1

I had to move the GPS antenna. I didn't like the way it looked on top of the gauge cluster. Moved it to the top of the headlight shell under the fiberglass Stucchi.

"Acquires" fine from there:

IMG_2158.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2138.JPG.jpeg

On 5/19/2017 at 10:31 PM, footgoose said:

if memory serves me, there was some talk that SpeedHut would seal them up if you asked?? am I mis-remembering?

While trying to index the tach (make it level and plumb), I inadvertently found the the chrome bezel unscrews (unlike the Veglia which are crimped).

This revealed the added seal which seals the glass to the face surround.

(I also tried to use guzzidiag to calibrate the rpm reading, but I'm not sure that was a success . . .  :whistle: )

IMG_2159.JPG.jpeg