Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

The bezel unscrewing is a surprise, so that's how they are able to re-do the face so cheaply.

It's a microprocessor / stepper motor drive just a matter of selecting the right No of pulses using the pushbutton provided then you can unplug the button.

I know, it's a man thing but you'll just have to read the instructions  :grin:

The signal setting was no problem (select "2"), but I hoped the tachometer would read the exact same RPM that the ECU "sees". (My Veglia read about 300 RPM high.)

So, while the face was open, I connected guzziadiag and *attempted to* rotate the face ever-so-slighlty to get the needle pointing at the exact RPM on guzzidiag. It's a big V-twin, so they both bounce around a lot. :blink:

Another one "for the record": It ain't worth it. :bbblll:

Well they look very nice. :) And you can look at it this way at 140 MPH you will be right at red line RPM's . Kind of wild that they set the gears up to match up with what the speedometer says at the top RPM lol.  I could go on a rant on this very subject but no need lol. :)

Well they look very nice. :) And you can look at it this way at 140 MPH you will be right at red line RPM's . Kind of wild that they set the gears up to match up with what the speedometer says at the top RPM lol.  I could go on a rant on this very subject but no need lol. :)

Thanks, J-G_1!

I took the chance of changing the tach from the Veglia's 11,000 to the Speedhut's 10,000 which puts the *5* at the very top. After all, that's where my V11 really likes to come alive . . .

Getting both those needles pointing to the right? Whew! "TICKETS and jail !" :o

post-328-13165649834821_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Odometer is coming into closer agreement with the Garmin. The difference is about 1/2 what it started with in just a few hundred miles.

Currently differs by -0.7%

Some *self-learning*, perhaps?

I seriously doubt that your GPS is learning anything. GPS total distance measurements can differ based on how frequently they read your position. For example, when I set my handheld GPS to 30 second or 1 minute intervals, then look at the track-log, it cuts off a lot of curves and corners and calculates that I have ridden in a straight line, which is less distance than I actually travelled.

Was one measurement on a twisty ride and another on a straight ride? If so I would expect the difference between the two units to be greater in the twisties. I further *assume* that the Speedhut needs to take very frequent (nearly constant) measurements in order to calculate changes in speed. Therefore, my hypothesis is that your Speedhut reads a greater (and I think more accurate) distance than your Garmin navigation GPS.

How are we doing, Dr. Venkman?

• Like 2

That is well reasoned and quite plausible. :thumbsup:  Today, I managed 183 miles and, while the SH trip odo and the Garmin Fuel Odo were off that 0.7%, the total miles between the two main odometers are exact. So, I'm sure it'll be fine. Worse,  I've got to quit admiring the gauges rolling down the road.

"Keep your eyes outside the cockpit!"

I do miss watching the tumblers "roll" . . . :oldgit:

• Like 1

I am definitely enjoying the highlighted red km/h in place of the Veglia's highlighted former US national 55mph speed limit [which was repealed in 1995!].  

Lots of 55mph limits remain, yet (locally at least) it is acceptable to travel these roads about 7mph over the limit. Unless after midnight in which case you are going to have a *conversation* with an interested party!

So, at a glance I can see the needle bisects the red 100 and the zero of the 60.  Sweet! :thumbsup:

sml_gallery_328_223_370941.jpeg

I'm not so sure that I like having the peak speed recorded.

IMG_6306.jpg

Obviously, this is the result of some sort of GPS calculation error...

Scud, buddy, somehow you've gotten way beyond the "Decent Tune-up!" ;)

Just back from a night ride to aim the new LED headlight. The intensity level of the faces works well for me; just slightly dimmer than the Garmin Zumo 550 in night mode. I'm glad I didn't fuss with the dimmer.

The fact that the needles are illuminated separately makes them really stand out. There is a little red reflection of the needles on the chrome bezels, but I'm going to quit looking that close starting tomorrow. :grin:

On 6/6/2017 at 7:49 PM, Scud said:

IMG_6306.jpg

Obviously, this is the result of some sort of GPS calculation error...

Hmm, 183 MPH, the bikes in neutral, rpm zero, and you took a photo.

My guess is that you were coasting down a vertical cliff, riding one handed, while you took that picture. Awesome!

• Haha 1

Free-fall is probably the only way my LeMans would ever see 183 MPH. I figure that top speed is so unbelievable that it could not be used as evidence against me - so I'm not gonna reset it. Plus it's fun to answer the "how fast will it go?" or "How fast have you gone on it?" questions. "Hmm... I dunno, but my speedo has a max speed setting... let's see what it says. Oh wow, 183. I thought I was only going 160. I guess the speedo pegs-out at 160."  Step back and watch the eyes pop and jaws drop. Respect for the Guzzi.  :notworthy:

On a serious note - the Speedhut GPS speedo has a lot of information available including clock, 1/4 mile times, max speed, etc.  When you cycle through the display options the needle moves to the exact peak speed (unless it pegs-out).  My pic is of the same display function as Docc's.  Obviously, my bike is faster than Docc's, mostly cuz it's red.

Today, I managed 183 miles.

Hmm, 183 MPH

183.  Coincidence?  What does it mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I managed 183 miles.

Hmm, 183 MPH

183.  Coincidence?  What does it mean?

= *All's Well*  :thumbsup: