Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

• 1 year later...

I am just starting the process of installing Speedhut speedometer and tach on my 2003 v11 lemans Rossi corsa.  I am also very nervous about the process and am looking for some guidance along the way.  First question- does the tank need to be removed?

1 hour ago, drossell7 said:

I am just starting the process of installing Speedhut speedometer and tach on my 2003 v11 lemans Rossi corsa.  I am also very nervous about the process and am looking for some guidance along the way.  First question- does the tank need to be removed?

All of the wiring is accessible at the front without removing the tank if you are using a GPS antenna. If you are using a reed switch at the gearbox, that wire will need to be routed along the frame.

I was able to fish out my unused speedometer cable without removing the tank, but your cable may need a tank-off for removal.

Thanks so much for the advice.  So far I have not been able to see the instrument wiring harness disconnect.  I will unbolt instrument cluster later today.  Hopefully I can find it then.  I have a Speedhut GPS speedometer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drossell7 said:

Thanks so much for the advice.  So far I have not been able to see the instrument wiring harness disconnect.  I will unbolt instrument cluster later today.  Hopefully I can find it then.  I have a Speedhut GPS speedometer.

On page 10 of this thread is a series of images of my early Sport wiring with references/links to Scud's posts on page one relating to the later V11 ITI/hUR black face instrument wiring . . .

• 2 months later...

The Speedhut speedo install is proceeding slowly. Leveraged Scud's lamp fixture idea, but I wanted to distribute the loading across a larger area of the speedo's case so Macgyvered this:

20230304_114411.jpg

Gorilla glued the step-up washers and lamp nut together as an assy then JB welded it to the back of the case. Finally, loctited the center post in place. While the "center" post is off center, the assy (including the gauge) was installed in the OEM gauge cup for the JB weld and now slips easily slip in/out of said cup.

20230304_113840.jpg

I have a direct line to the battery available to power the GPS, will use one of the now unused OEM speedo lights to power the speedo needle/dash lighting. System test went ok, with gps acquiring and dash lighting functional...though the jury is out about the needle lighting. I had to turn off the shop lights to see the subtle dash lighting...maybe the needle is subtler! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, docc said:

The gauge backlighting and the needle illumination require separately powered LED drivers.

Understood. The dial lighting is powered off the supplied inverter while the needle lighting goes directly to 12V.

My electrical connections weren't robust during the systems test...and if I wind up without a lit needle once installed it'll be a small price to pay to avoid removing/reinstalling the OEM gauge cups.:luigi:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Installation complete and road tested. All is well. Dial and needle lighting go thru switched power, the GPS runs direct to the battery. Was surprised that the GPS current draw (pre- and post signal acquisition) was just over 100mA, which explains why my battery was so low after sitting for two days. Fortunately, I can break the connection to the battery easily to avoid running it down.

Oh...Speedhut is discontinuing their current gauge models ("EL lighting") and replacing them with "LED lighting" 1 May 2023. They will look different at night, so if you're running a Speedhut/OEM combo and thinking of replacing the OEM in the future, you might want to get your order in. I was also told the face of the new gauge has a slightly different "texture" and will also not match.

On the plus side...no inverter required for lighting!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hey - nice work. That was a clever solution to make a bigger contact area out of a nuts and stepped washers. Glad the household lamp fixture was useful for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I placed my order for SpeedHut replacement gauges.  Just under $500 out the door.  I went with the design below.  The background is gray instead of white. I really wanted them to glow red at night and they did not offer a white face/red glow option. So I went with gray.  I think they look pretty good! I'm sure I'll be stopping back by this thread after they are delivered when I go to attempt the installation.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 12-14-03 3-3_8 Classic GPS Speedometer 160mph.png Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 12-14-47 3-3_8 Classic Tachometer 10K RPM.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I started a conversion to Speedhut gauges but never completed it.  So, the gauges and other bits are for sale at a discount.

Before I did any work on my bike I partially staged the installation by buying a new intrument holder

(lower plastic portion) from Harpers and the metal portion (that attaches to the triple clamp) from Ebay. 

I fabticated brackets based from other members comments in this string.  Everything you need including a

plug for the crankcase where the speedo cable came out to do the conversion is here.

The speedometer is the GPS version and is set to 20,000 miles.  The metal portion of the intrument holder

has a slight bend - use the one from your machine.  Cost is $200.  Call Dave 973 632-2237

20230702_165409R.jpg

20230702_165611R.jpg

20230702_165635R.jpg

20230708_160102R.jpg

20230708_160304R.jpg

20230708_160322R.jpg

20230708_160329R.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, drossell7 said:

I started a conversion to Speedhut gauges but never completed it.  So, the gauges and other bits are for sale at a discount.

Before I did any work on my bike I partially staged the installation by buying a new intrument holder

(lower plastic portion) from Harpers and the metal portion (that attaches to the triple clamp) from Ebay. 

I fabticated brackets based from other members comments in this string.  Everything you need including a

plug for the crankcase where the speedo cable came out to do the conversion is here.

The speedometer is the GPS version and is set to 20,000 miles.  The metal portion of the intrument holder

has a slight bend - use the one from your machine.  Cost is $200.  Call Dave 973 632-2237

20230702_165409R.jpg

20230702_165611R.jpg

20230702_165635R.jpg

20230708_160102R.jpg

20230708_160304R.jpg

20230708_160322R.jpg

20230708_160329R.jpg

This is a killer offer! And so much work already done. :thumbsup:

Interested parties should know that the odometer mileage is easily configured.

Looking at these pics above, interesting that the Tacho is sitting at 1500 RPM.

I've got a pair of Speedhuts on the Sporti and when I switch off the bike the tacho will drop to exactly the same position.

When I cycle the ignition switch the tacho then drops to zero.

I always thought it was something unique to my bike, or something stupid I'd managed when hooking them up