Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

That looks really sharp

One thing I wouldn't do is get the reset button put through the glass, the speedo is the only one that needs a reset for the odometer, the tach just needs it for initial setup. Have just one common button at the back or side and use it for all gauges.

For the Voltmeter a range of 10 - 15 would be appropriate, try taking the feed from the dash or park lights I think it would be closer (less Voltage drop) than the idiot light feed.

For the gauge power supply you want a switched feed, the park light would be good for that also, unlike the idiot light feed it doesn't turn off while cranking and reset the gauges which is annoying.

Don't forget the essential idiot lights, Fuel, Indicators, Neutral & High beam, you don't need Oil pressure and charge.

The 194 LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com  look quite good simply set into the plate so the surface is flush. Typical part No WLED-B-90  (B for blue) they operate on AC so there's no need to worry about polarity.

If you make the panel from 1/8" Aluminum a cheap wood Coping saw will carve out the curves in no-time flat.

I always wanted to machine turn (piece of dowel and grinding paste) the metal but I don't have a drill press.

Thanks for the compliment! I've ordered the new gauges with no front buttons. I also plan on switching the gauge lights so they aren't on all the time. Using the park light as a feed is a good idea. For idiot light lights I'll only need neutral and fuel. I'm also adding another light for the Clearwater driving lights which will be triggered by the high beam. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So the gauges came in. I had initially ordered them with all with no front buttons but they called me after they left the art department and were headed to the assembly department that only the speedo and tacos could be had without buttons. If I had known this I would have not ordered them as such. It was too late to bach up. Now I'm stuck with the ugly cheap switch they provided and I' currently looking for another switch. I had to open up the holes for the speedo and oil gauges but everything fits now. I now need to order my LED warning indicators. I'm going with APEM 6mm panel mount LEDs. I've used these with good success on a previous project. They are rated IP67 and have built in resistors. I'm using the flush design but they are available in other styles and sizes. Once I get the holes drilled the panel will be off to be powder coated. I haven't decided if I going with flat or sating black. Although wrinkle black might be a possible color too.

IMG_0350-X3.jpg

DSCF3214.jpg

DSCF3215.jpg

APEM link...  http://www.apem.com/professional-grade-panel-mount-led-indicators-v9-p-144.html

• Like 1

Put the reset button around the back where you don't have to look at it.

What's the purpose of the buttons in the oil pressure and Volt meter?

Put the reset button around the back where you don't have to look at it.

What's the purpose of the buttons in the oil pressure and Volt meter?

Speedo reset button around back. I hadn't thought about that. I need to read through the manual again to what exactly it controls other than the trip reset.

On the gauges the button sets the limit for the light to come on.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

(Third) Veglia odometer locked at 29,400. Ordered a Speedhut gauge set just now. Really nervous about the whole thing . . . :unsure:

Thanks, so much, to everyone who has posted their experiences and all of the details to consider. :notworthy:

As of this writing, $420US for the pair (GPS speedo and custom faces).

[edit/ 20 May 2017: final cost after ticking every box and adding every option: $559.90US. I spent another $50-60 on various fasteners and trim pieces and electrical supplies.]

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Congrats! (?)

At this point I'm thinking Speedhut should just start advertising Moto Guzzi gauge packages and pay a licensing fee for the logo LOL 

Good luck Docc!

Haha, right? They accepted that I'm trying to "replicate" my existing gauges and offered to delete their logo, but cannot put "Veglia" on them.

I decided not to ask for :

Vaguelia

PORBETTI

ooooh, but I am tempted  .  .  .

• Like 1

They were willing to delete "Speedhut made in USA" and replace with "Made in Italy" for me. But I think it was another $20 and I decided not to.

• 1 month later...

Speedhut has been spectacularly professional and patient with me while I have re-refined the face designs. On to the actual build now, then to the installation. Thanks to all of those who have gone before me! 

:notworthy: Kiwi_Roy, Scud, chamberlin, gargoyle, callison, mjptexas, and moto fugazzi! :thumbsup:

Speedhut has been spectacularly professional and patient with me while I have re-refined the face designs. On to the actual build now, then to the installation. Thanks to all of those who have gone before me! 

:notworthy: Scud, chamberlin, gargoyle, Kiwi_Roy, callison, mjptexas, and moto fugazzi! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:   Waiting for pics too!

• 2 weeks later...

Custom gauges delivered: just over six weeks including the meticulous face design process. :thumbsup:

Tonight, out comes the Dremel and the wire cutters . . . :luigi:

Custom gauges delivered: just over six weeks including the meticulous face design process. :thumbsup:

Tonight, out comes the Dremel and the wire cutters . . . :luigi:

After you post pics!

• Like 1