Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

The Speedhut gauges are much shallower than the Veglias. If you're going to use the stock plastic gauge cup, you should have room to conceal all the extra black box and wires inside the gauge cup. You can drill a hole in the back of the cup for the dimmer knob. Then it will be basically invisible, behind the flyscreen.

Power the gauges from the park light, that's not switched with the start relay so it doesn't re-boot every time you press start.

Being so cheap I'm surprised more owners don't make their own speed sensors, all you need is a spinning magnet and a 10c reed switch. and a few hand tools The magnet spins in the existing speedo cable drive so any precision machining is taken care of.

The little glass switches break very easy if you're not careful but once you get one done and embedded in silicon or epoxy they will last forever.

Almost any small magnet will do to pulse the switch.

A runners GPS is perfect for calibrating the speedo

• Like 1

Power the gauges from the park light, that's not switched with the start relay so it doesn't re-boot every time you press start.

Being so cheap I'm surprised more owners don't make their own speed sensors, all you need is a spinning magnet and a 10c reed switch. and a few hand tools The magnet spins in the existing speedo cable drive so any precision machining is taken care of.

The little glass switches break very easy if you're not careful but once you get one done and embedded in silicon or epoxy they will last forever.

Almost any small magnet will do to pulse the switch.

A runners GPS is perfect for calibrating the speedo

Have you documented the process for the speed sensor? It sounds easy but remember not everyone is use to working with those parts.

Yes I did but I'm unable to copy/ paste from this computer

If anyone's interested send me a PM and I'll send you the makings

Sent from my shoe phone!

Sent from my shoe phone!

I'm not sure how it doesn't copy/paste but I'll send you a PM. I assume I can't post your notes when I get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my shoe phone!

It looks like your inbox is full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shall I remove this entire drive since I'm going GPS? Is there only the one little washer that could get loose in the gearbox, or is there another?

I'm pretty sure I removed everything I could get out of the drive hole, but I don't remember a second washer... Maybe stick a magnet probe in there?

Then, you just have to find the appropriately sized bolt!

Those look great. I really like the kph inner ring on the speedo with the red 100.  And it must be refreshing to have two orange needles. 

• Thanks 1

I won't know how to act without the speedo needle dancing St. Vitus' Dance. :blink:

Maybe my riding will smooth out, too! :grin:

Doc, question about your Veglia gauges.  Is it normal for the tach needle to fade faster than the speedo?  My speedo/tach needles look exactly like yours and it made me suspect that the speedo is a replacement and therefore not trustworthy as a gauge of the mileage of the bike.

I believe one of mine has been replaced and the needles don't match. There are markings on the back on the instrument that says something like "Used Checked Good" or something.

Doc, question about your Veglia gauges.  Is it normal for the tach needle to fade faster than the speedo?  My speedo/tach needles look exactly like yours and it made me suspect that the speedo is a replacement and therefore not trustworthy as a gauge of the mileage of the bike.

While the Veglia speedometer is typically replaced more often than the tach, I have seen Veglia of the same age show a more faded tach needle. No idea why that occurs, but it has been observed.

The pictured Veglia speedometer is my third  and is almost seven years old. The tach was replaced under warranty in 2001.