relay not relaying

larue bones

proud owner of a 79 1000sp, about 12 years. bike will start, next time, which could be 5 minutes. no power anywhere. if i jump the relay bike starts most of the time. replaced relay,checked wiring and conections all seems ok. waiting for new ing switch. any ideas??????????? could really use help thanks..............

• 2 weeks later...

Classic problem. The trigger and delivery feed both come from a wire that runs up and down the bike a half dozen times. The voltage drop is so extreme that the solenoid terminals foul.

Use a fused wire directly from the battery positive terminal to the delivery side of the relay. Problem solved.

Pete

No. he means from battery to the relay contact. The relay coil should stay on the existing circuit so it's disabled with the key Off

You can find an excellent drawing by Carl Allison on the This old Tractor site, just google Carl Allison Drawings

Split the jumper from coil to contacts and feed the contact directly

The starter solenoid draws a very heavy current (40-50 Amps) for a split second, it needs a really good feed.

It wouldn't hurt to clean your ignition switch, it should be done every 5-10 years, just wipe out the old grease and replace with Petroleum Jelly aka Vaseline, Please, do not use dielectric grease.

Don't feel bad Luigi doesn't understand elect rockery either otherwise we wouldn't have all these issues.

Sent from my shoe phone!

So, bones, I'm thinking the power feed to the relay Pete is suggesting you would have to add. That is why you won't see it on the wring diagram.

thanks for all the info, it went to shop today. iam lost with electrical, i would rather rewire the bike than try to fiqure out a glitch,,but i wanna ride this summer maybe this winter.i'll let u know what the problem was.