Rear shock options in UK

stewgnu

A shock/spring change is going to make such a HUGE difference for you! (Re-set your "sags!")

Is Öhlins, once again, available for the V11?

Hopefully!  Sheffield roads got hammered a few winters ago and they're yet to repair most of them.  Bike suspension takes a thumping round these parts.

I went for the black sproing (Scud will approve!) and, whilst I was feeling generous towards myself, also got one of these ordered:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/cafe-racer-guages/koso-combined-guage-for-cafe-racer.html

Also in black with a black bezel for my black, black heart. :):ninja:

Looking forward to cursing quietly at first, then progressively longer and louder as I attempt to fit the b*stard.

Stew

Hopefully!  Sheffield roads got hammered a few winters ago and they're yet to repair most of them.  Bike suspension takes a thumping round these parts.

I went for the black sproing (Scud will approve!) and, whilst I was feeling generous towards myself, also got one of these ordered:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/cafe-racer-guages/koso-combined-guage-for-cafe-racer.html

Also in black with a black bezel for my black, black heart. :):ninja:

Looking forward to cursing quietly at first, then progressively longer and louder as I attempt to fit the b*stard.

Stew

Prescient.  I approve.  I got the black spring too.

+1 on setting sag - front and rear after the new shock is installed.

Mmm, never set sag before, always just got on and rode it...  Doesn't it take a couple or three people to sit/hold/measure the bike?
All I have is one small, petulant wife.

Haa!  Ok I'm being mean, but she is wont to pout a tad....
I can imagine saying "Now then lass, just hold this big heavy motorbike whilst I sit on it, and get a measure- accurate mind- without dropping it".
Then the lip coming out, worried brow-lines raising and heavy uncertainty showing in the body language.
I need a big, strong man in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Hyperpro fitted and test-ridden.  As you can see by the photo, it only takes two bolts to install the shock... nothing to it.

IMG_3329.jpg

Oh, you have to remove a few things to get access to the two bolts....  :whistle:

Very pleased with a quick 40 mile test run. The bike feels more stable and predictable. The rear wheel maintained contact over some sections that I know caused it to lose contact with the Sachs shock. I should have weighed the two shocks - but I am sure the Hyperpro weighs less, partly because there is no reservoir.

The shock came with good instructions and a sheet with a summary of all the data I provided when they built the shock. The spring was pre-set and so was the damping. I did measure sag after installing the shock and it was correct (sag specs were also on the data sheet).  It seems everyone has their own method of measuring sag. Hyperpro recommended measuring only hanging free and riderless - not a third measurement with rider and gear.  I was able to take those measurements by myself.

• Like 1

Cool.  We like Stable and Predictable.

Still waiting for mine but thanks to pasotibbs (who does own a duc paso- lucky fellow) I've been hooning around on his old sachs unit.  We've had some lovely days so far this summer so I'm a most grateful egg.

How come your bike is so pristine, like? I smell Photoshop......... ;-)

Camera on phone, no photoshop (but sometimes I do press "enhance" to fix the color of photos)... and I smell Simple Green. I degreased that slimy pig for hours - and thanks for noticing.   :bier:

The shock, of course, is clean because it is new.  A little powdercoating here and there... and some new fasteners... and a little OMGD (Obsessive Moto Guzzi Disorder).  :mg:

• Like 1

Delivered!  Fitted!  Ridden!  Rebound Twiddled!  Ridden!

Working nicely as far as I can tell.

Hey Scud- I happened to bolt mine on t'other way round- does it matter? :huh:   Has one of us made an unforgivable error?? :wacko:   What will the neighbours say??? :blink:
At least I can get to my rebound knob without removing the airbox. :grin:

Stew

Yeah, I installed my 460 like Stewgnu's, with the rebound adjuster toward the rear wheel.

I just oriented it he same way as the Sachs.........not that that was installed correctly.

The workshop manual I have shows the shock mounted with the body anchored to the frame; "inverted," if you will. Less unsprung weight?

They sometimes do things *differently* in California . . . :whistle:

Well, nonetheless, I agree that it's a noticeable improvement over the sachs.  There's more 'floatiness' over rough and rippled surfaces and, combined with the lovely Avon 3D-XM's, I'm finding her more comfortable when leaning into the curves.  I love my bike.  She's right good.