Ram Mount.

Jet

I used a flat exacto knife blade - not the standard triangle kind, a rectangular one that is like a chisel. The blade will slip between the plastic button and the metal nut, which will let you gently lift that plastic button out.

JRD's homemade compression fitting is a clever idea. Before reading that, I couldn't imagine how you would get the mount attached there. 

I have bar-end mirrors on my Scura, and fairing mounted mirrors on my LeMans. So I am simply using RAM balls that screw into the mirror perches. I have two different length arms - depending on what I am using. The RAM system is quite good - I have a RAM ball on each motorcycle.

That particular RAM mount comes with an assortment of different size fittings which go down inside the steering head tube and when compressed as the allen head screw is tightened, flare out locking the mount in place.  I cant recall why ended up using the small piece of fuel line sandwhiched between a flat washer instead of the supplied fittings.  But it has worked great.

I have the pictures on my phone of the installed mount, and completed assembly with the GPS. pm me your phone number and I will be glad to send them to you.

Jerry   

That particular RAM mount comes with an assortment of different size fittings which go down inside the steering head tube and when compressed as the allen head screw is tightened, flare out locking the mount in place.  I cant recall why ended up using the small piece of fuel line sandwhiched between a flat washer instead of the supplied fittings.  But it has worked great.

I have the pictures on my phone of the installed mount, and completed assembly with the GPS. pm me your phone number and I will be glad to send them to you.

Jerry   

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in hearing someone say that it does work and what's under that cap (which I still don't know, but I assume it's a hole?) but if the mount works I'm good with that. Thanks!

Yea that is the steering head tube.  Just a hollow tube with a fancy little cap covering the hole.  If you can get the cap to pop off by gently prying it up, try a long thin screw driver from the bottom.  

Jerry

Dave - see the parts diagram at top of this thread. The cap can be deceptive as it looks like one piece but is actually two pieces. #13 is threaded and has a hex-shaped hole - maybe about 6mm. #14 is the small plastic plug that you can pry out of the hex-hole with a knife blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhh, I don't think you'll find what you want to find once you pop that little plastic cover off. From memory (always dangerous with me) the hex is for the jam nut that locks the steering head bearing adjustment. I don't remember any way to mount a ram mount on it..  :huh2:

Uhhh, I don't think you'll find what you want to find once you pop that little plastic cover off. From memory (always dangerous with me) the hex is for the jam nut that locks the steering head bearing adjustment. I don't remember any way to mount a ram mount on it..  :huh2:

And yet people claim to have done it.

Chuck-The steering head tube is hollow.  And under the cap is a smallish hole.  I have that RAM mount on my LM and use a Garmin 1450 GPS with it.  Have had it mounted there for two years now with great results.  Easy to see when moving, just glance slightly lower than the speedo/tach, and I can even hear the directions when not at highway speeds.  Only drawback is you have to reach around/over the gps unit to get to the ignition key.  I have a picture on my computer but cant get it to load onto this site since we installed chrome.

Jerry

Chuck-The steering head tube is hollow.  And under the cap is a smallish hole.  I have that RAM mount on my LM and use a Garmin 1450 GPS with it.  Have had it mounted there for two years now with great results.  Easy to see when moving, just glance slightly lower than the speedo/tach, and I can even hear the directions when not at highway speeds.  Only drawback is you have to reach around/over the gps unit to get to the ignition key.  I have a picture on my computer but cant get it to load onto this site since we installed chrome.

Jerry

Oh, I see what you did now. I'm a little slow.. :oldgit:

Jerry   

PM sent

Jerry   

PM sent

From Jerry (JRD)

33903061066_255c812b73_c.jpg

33903061186_a3719075b2_c.jpg

33813689101_023520c710_c.jpg

33813689011_4a7dd33b24_c.jpg

I think the mount is suppose to sit further down in the stem. While it will probably be ok, I suspect there is additional stress on the mount. You could change the stem nut to a open design. That might work. Then you could shove the mount into the stem more.

Dave, that is as far as the base mount can go.  It is not very "tall" at all.  Just sent a photo of the kit I purchased for another bike of mine.  

I have visions of vibration breaking that sucker.  :huh2: There's too long of a moment arm.

ram_mounts_stem_base_black_zoom.jpg

Ideally you want it to sit flush like this. But even RAM shows an example of it sitting above. There is a long bolt going down so it shouldn't snap off.

Does anyone have a picture of the top stem nut off? Could it be replaced by a "traditional" nut?