Ram Mount.

Jet

Swooshdave- We are now at our Georgia cabin and I have access to my LeMans.  I inspected my RAM mount installation and realized I removed the chrome top nut to the steering stem in order to install the mount.  Just as you did on yours.  I have had my mount installed for over two years now and have never had to re-tighten or adjust the mount which amazes me as the road to our house will rattle your fillings out of your teeth.

I don't agree that it's ok to leave the top nut off.

That nut is part of the adjustment/preload of the steering head bearings. When you tighten the lower nut to set bearing preload, you set the preload just slightly less than you want it, then when the top nut is tightened, it pushes the triple clamp down, and lower nut down, taking the slack out of the threads of the lower nut, tightening the bearing preload a bit more.

The upper nut/triple clamp/lower nut then all become a solid unit. That's what keeps the preload nut from being able to loosen. I guess with the pinch bolt on the upper clamp you could get away with leaving the top nut off, but I would expect the lower nut to loosen a bit over time and miles.

• Like 1

Coreytrevor- I re-installed the chrome cap nut onto the steering stem after I installed the RM mount.  I dont think you would get too far if you left it off  :-o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

c5056bd4b85d974f89287f74d9d1eaca.jpg

I omitted a whole bunch of stuff and now have a very rigid mount. I found a nut the same size as the hole in the chrome cap. I threaded that on followed by a couple washers then the nut supplied with the kit. Tightened everything up and done. That simple. I just spin the whole thing on. Solid, no cutting and simple.

If it loosens you just take some pliers and take the chrome nut off. It shouldn’t be that tight anyways.

611ac6734a40b32a65791766e3874259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2017 at 1:00 AM, swooshdave said:

33693775532_741a4431d4_c.jpg

Has anyone use this style RAM mount? It should mount to the mirror perch but I don't know if it would hit the mirror stem?

You guys did an awesome job of working through the RAM steering stem mount. Welldone! :thumbsup:   I have been using the one shown above to mount my GPS offset (eccentric? :blink:) to the left.  Saying goodbye to me twelve year old 550 ZUMO. That's pretty impressive age for any electronics, especially seeing the hard duty and weather of navigating 60,000 miles/100,000 km on my Sport in all conditions, roads, and weather.

IMG_2573.jpg

The replacement mount for the Garmin 595LM ZUMO is hard wired to an absurd octopus of a harness with four extra audio plugs and a stupid amount of wiring. I only need 12v power and want to able to remove both the device and the mount when not needed (98% of the time) leaving the Sport cockpit clean.

Planning to remove everything right of the AMP connector:

IMG_2565.jpg

The new mount (as well as the new device) are much trimmer than the old 550:

IMG_2575.jpg

Now to take the side cutters to a perfectly good, brandy-new harness . . .

• Like 1

I  bought a Zumo 396LMT-S for mine, the screen is a good size for me and it does everything I need it to do..and only a power cord to deal with..I attached the power to the Key operated parking light source and then cut it about 18 inches from the end  installed an AMP connector just behind the gauges and top triple so I could easily remove the whole set up when not in use. I Had a friend machine a new Billet Steering Stem nut with a 19mm open top and enough space to machine to get  a 30 mm wrench on it to tighten. I found this Ram mount on the UK site " The Visor shop", I don't see them even listed anywhere in the USA...it

took about 10 days to receive it. All went together very solid and I like it because it doesn't get in the way of the ignition and is right in the line of sight with the gauges

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5011.jpgIMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpgIMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5016.jpgIMG_5015.jpg

IMG_4999.jpgIMG_5002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done, KINDOY! What a perfect "adapter."

My posts are probably more about the power connection to remove my mount cleanly.

I'm looking for the power  lead on the 595LM mount to be about 9"/23cm:

IMG_2574.jpg

Drilled and tapped the RAM "post&ball" for a flat head M4x.7 screw (that came out of the 550 mount), sized the screw to stand off just enough to slide the female connector on securely.

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

• Like 1

Utilizing the existing power cable from the 550, without fishing an entire new harness along the Sport's frame, meant cutting it off and splicing on the female AMP connector.  Probably the dicey part. "CLAMP!"

IMG_2583.jpg

Mount shown disconnected/removed:

IMG_2585.jpg

Power jack sealed up and tucked away nicely. I realize it looks like a ten pound fire extinguisher next to a basketball in this view, but the clutch reservoir looks like a five gallon bucket . . .

IMG_2592.jpg

I did all this to a harness ordered individually to make sure I could get it right. I've ordered the 595LM now and hope to have it next week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

I  bought a Zumo 396LMT-S for mine, the screen is a good size for me and it does everything I need it to do..and only a power cord to deal with..I attached the power to the Key operated parking light source and then cut it about 18 inches from the end  installed an AMP connector just behind the gauges and top triple so I could easily remove the whole set up when not in use. I Had a friend machine a new Billet Steering Stem nut with a 19mm open top and enough space to machine to get  a 30 mm wrench on it to tighten. I found this Ram mount on the UK site " The Visor shop", I don't see them even listed anywhere in the USA...it

took about 10 days to receive it. All went together very solid and I like it because it doesn't get in the way of the ignition and is right in the line of sight with the gauges

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

Life is so much easier when you know someone who has a lathe.

Any chance you have a drawing for the stem nut?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, docc said:

Nicely done, KINDOY! What a perfect "adapter."

My posts are probably more about the power connection to remove my mount cleanly.

I'm looking for the power  lead on the 595LM mount to be about 9"/23cm:

IMG_2574.jpg

Drilled and tapped the RAM "post&ball" for a flat head M4x.7 screw (that came out of the 550 mount), sized the screw to stand off just enough to slide the female connector on securely.

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

What? No hammer(s) in these pictures? What's up Docc?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

What? No hammer(s) in these pictures? What's up Docc?

Trying to clean up my act . . . :grin:

IMG_2583.jpg?v=1591572338946

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:31 PM, docc said:

Utilizing the existing power cable from the 550, without fishing an entire new harness along the Sport's frame, meant cutting it off and splicing on the female AMP connector.  Probably the dicey part. "CLAMP!"

IMG_2583.jpg

Mount shown disconnected/removed:

IMG_2585.jpg

Power jack sealed up and tucked away nicely. I realize it looks like a ten pound fire extinguisher next to a basketball in this view, but the clutch reservoir looks like a five gallon bucket . . .

IMG_2592.jpg

I did all this to a harness ordered individually to make sure I could get it right. I've ordered the 595LM now and hope to have it next week.

Nice clean work docc !!

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:50 PM, swooshdave said:

Life is so much easier when you know someone who has a lathe.

Any chance you have a drawing for the stem nut?

I'll ask my friend for a drawing, I just gave him the measurement's I wanted ...He probably has a nice drawing..he's that sort!