2008 1200 Sport

jwh20

I am looking at trading a Kawasaki Concours for a 1200 Sport.  Wondering what anyone knows about the 1200 Sport.  Known issues, common problems, how does it compare to the V11?  Stuff like that.  Thanks.

Few 'Known issues'. Essentially same package as the Norge but without the fairing.

Make sure nobody has interfered with the throttle stop screws or the linkage rod. Only a maximum of one of the air bleeds should be open.

Find out if the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings have ever been greased? They are rarely done well ex factory so factor that into the price.

Check the condition of the Ti coating on the front fork staunchions, it was prone to peeling on early models.

Idle speed should be around 1150-1200 RPM and is stepper controlled. If the idle speed is higher or lower a shaved ape has tried to change it mechanically, (See first note about idle stop screws and linkage rod.) run away!

Pete

I own a 1200 sport from new and have done about 25.000 kms now.

Check the battery connections for corrosion and tightness.

My 15A fuse went a couple of times and I have yet to find the culprit. Carry spares.

Please keep in mind that imo the V11 handles much better. I had to do a lot of fiddling with the stock suspension to take it to an acceptable level.

The grunt of the 1200 2valve engine makes up for everything. It never let me down. Love it, but keep in mind it's not a sportsbike!

• 2 months later...

Agreed ............... I would have to say that of all the big blocks that two valver is by far the best overall power plant to live long term with........ and for some reason Guzzi got the transmission Oh so right on that one as well.

Enjoy.                                Ciao.

• 1 year later...

After following Docc's V11 around for the last 16 years, I finally came to my senses and found my '08 1200 Sport (Guzzi Black, of course). I am new to the forum and must say that after two weeks of ownership, one discovery that you CAN reinstall the fuel tip over switch sideways :rolleyes:, and a fantastic 600 mile weekend (Southern Spine Raid #12) getting to know my Sport, I highly recommend you take the plunge.  Get a service manual, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We put guzzidiag to the 1200 Sport today while doing an "tune-up."  The TPS Reset is infinitely simpler than the V11's mechanical method, but doesn't offer much satisfaction that it actually does anything. I set it before the throttlebody synch and final idle setting. Should I have "Reset" it  at the end of the session?

And this "Reset autolearning parameters" . . . should that be activated? :huh2:

Worked for me. :grin:  Actually, Docc worked for me. The PO claimed he had paid $600+ for an "18K" service.  The only thing we could find that MAY have been done was an oil change.  After the TPS reset, an idle adjustment, valve adjustment, and the guzzidiag hookup, my 12S runs crisply, and has no more stumble off idle.  Well done, Docc!

• Like 1

Glad to hear, Goofman! :thumbsup:

On this bike, I decided to perform all the mechanical tuning first (plugs, valves, balance the throttle body linkage, balance the air bypass screws, set the idle speed), then reset the TPS and the auto learning parameters last.

Seemed to work very well, yet there is no resounding confirmation that those last two actions do anything. Not like rotating a V11 TPS and watching the voltage come into range. Incidentally, the CO Fuel Trim was zero on this bike from the start.

Errr? Yes there is.

You mean this, Pete?: "Seemed to work very well, yet there is no resounding confirmation that those last two actions do anything."

How so? It just seems to turn the dialog box off.  There are no values displayed (that I saw) . . . no bells ring, the sun did not break through the clouds, no gratifying hiss of steam . . . :unsure: