2008 1200 Sport

jwh20

Just re-read this entire thread. Thanks to Docc for his time and skill. Don't get on the forum often, as I have little to contribute. That said, I add my thanks to Docc's for all that you do, Mr. Roper. While I await my backordered rear plate light housing (don't ask), I shall attend to that shock linkage and swingarm bearing service. 10 years and 24k miles is quite long enough.

If I were you I’d buy a pair of swingarm bearings pre-emptively along with the seals that sit in the frame as it’s almost certain you’ll need them. Buy the Guzzi bearings as the seal design on the wide end of the cone is a bit odd and I haven’t been able to find similar from an aftermarket source.

If your shock linkage turns out to be buggered with all the needles rusted out it’s actually cheaper to buy a new linkage than buying all the individual bearings, seals and pins and rebuilding. Just make sure you pack the new one thoroughly with marine grade grease and repeat regularly, (Every couple of years should be sufficient unless you live in a swamp!).

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the discussion over the1200 Sport! :mg:

Three out of four Moto Guzzi Sport:IMG_4919.jpg

Wowsie, you got a very rare MOTO GUZZI SPORT ELEPHANT! Watch out that it doesn't sit on those other midget bikes.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So this weekend was the first I’ve been able to ride the 1200 Sport. I did 2 50 miles rides on curvy east Tn roads. I think my bmw 1150

Handles only slightly better but that will change the more time I put on the 1200. This 1200 Sport just blew away all the motorcycles

I’ve ever owned or ridden as far as what I would prefer. I really like test rides and I’ve tested many but I bought this 1200 without even

Test riding it because the owner is known by the Guzzi community and Cadre cycles. It runs really well even though it’s been sitting.

A little popping on de acceleratoring but I’m learning to reduce that.

I’ve been know by my friends to frequently trade my motorcycles just to experience more of them but I believe this one might be a life

Buddy, and I’m almost 65. Took me this long to find the Ultimate machine and I regret my wanderlust now a little. I’ve previously owned

An SP1000 in blue and a California Stone in Flat orange but this Carc model is way better for me. So previous owner Woody has it well sorted out and I just need to have Guzzi Steve look after the swingarm and steering head bearings. They don’t make these anymore

So to me they are incredibly valuable. I don’t have time to tour so it will be ridden mostly local and miles will pile up slowly. I still have

My Bmw R1150 R which I love but I wouldn’t mind trading for a red 2 valve Griso.

• Like 3

The 8V, which you sadly never got, knocks the socks off the 2VPC model.

Just sayin'.

Pete

I'm guessing "2VPC" is 2 valve per cylinder? :huh2:

If so, that simple suffix surely helps with the confusion surrounding the "4V" (PC) and the "8V" (whole motor).

• 1 month later...

Just sayin'.

Pete

“Sadly never got” sounds like a demeaning comment , no I’m happy with my 2v, not sad at all

Maybe you could go back to Wildguzzi

I love my 2-valver. Kevin Cameron published something about why that configuration V-Twin has something "special." It's not efficiency or horsepower, or really even torque.  I'll look for a link to his article. Pretty sure it was his column in Cycle World?

Just sayin'.

Pete

“Sadly never got” sounds like a demeaning comment , no I’m happy with my 2v, not sad at all

Maybe you could go back to Wildguzzi

Easy there. Pete is one of the best Guzzi mechanics I know of. The last thing we would want is for him to not hang out on this board.

I have a 2 valve Griso. I like it. But I kinda' get what Pete meant, that the extra power of the 8 valve motor would make for more fun. I just wish they didn't do such a bad job with the engineering of the 8 valve motor. As it is, I have mixed emotions about having an older 2 valve Griso. I would love the extra power, but I am glad my Griso never ate its valve train.

• Like 1