2008 1200 Sport

jwh20

We have four Guzzi's, two of them have 4 valves per cylinder and two are 2 valve motors (a Griso and a V11sport). The V11 has some motor work, porting and milling, and it runs pretty good. It is faster than the newer 2 valve Griso. But honestly, my Daytona with the older style 4 valve motor is my favorite. It has a hot rod feel and more power than any of the other three. But all four of them are great bikes to ride, even the little baby Guzzi Lario.

If I had to sell one, it would have to be the Griso. But I am not sure I could. But that KTM 790 Duke is very tempting, not so much for the look but for that motor. What a sweet motor. Such a tiny package with near 100 hp at the rear wheel. Wow. None of my Guzzi's could run with that.

But yeah, the way Guzzi's pull in the mid range is what they are about. Way back when I was riding the wife's V11 on the street with a couple buddies, one of them was on an R1. He could not believe how much the V11 just pulled him coming out of the corners. Sure, the R1 could run it down once it got up and going, but that first pull out of the corners was all about the V11.

The 8V, which you sadly never got, knocks the socks off the 2VPC model.

Just sayin'.

Pete

“Sadly never got” sounds like a demeaning comment , no I’m happy with my 2v, not sad at all

Maybe you could go back to Wildguzzi

What a weird thing to say? Did I suggest that the 2V version was 'Bad'? No! In fact I think it's actually a great bike. But the fact is that in the US you didn't get the 4VPC version, which wasn't my decision it was obviously made by Piaggio USA or whoever, is I think a shame as the 2V 1200's were under valued and under represented whereas the Breva1100, essentially the same bike, were and are fairly popular. The thing is a rollerised and correctly mapped 1200 8V WILL knock the socks off a 2V model and all I was saying is I thought it a pity you never got the opportunity to experience the difference for yourselves. I can't get where you get 'Demeaning' from out of that???

On the whole definition of the engines thing? Yeah, it's weird and stupid but when referring to, especially the CARC series, the general terminology seems to be the two valve per cylinder models are known as 2 valves and the four valve per cylinder models are known as 8 valves. Don't ask me why? I have no bloody idea and agree it's stupid but, well, y'know...........

Pete

• Like 1

I assume it is to differentiate the new 4 valve per cylinder bikes from the older 4 valve per cylinder bikes like the Daytona and Centauro. Oddly, at first it seemed they did not want to associate the presumably reliable new motor with the questionably reliable old motor. Then it turned out it was the new motor with the more serious reliability issues.

So I think it makes sense. The older 4 valve per cylinder motors were originally called 4 valve motors. So the new 4 valve per cylinder motors get called 8 valve motors, referring to the total number of valves. It is actually fairly normal to refer to the total number of valves in a motor. Many other motors are referred to as 16 valve motors, 24 valve motors, or 32 valve motors. So really the odd one is that the older motors were known as 4 valve motors.

• Like 1

WRT the factory's definitions the early Stelvios were known as '4V' and then the NTX 'Big Tank' models got called '8V'.

As an example of just how spectacularly stupid and dishonest the management are in an interview given by one of the Piaggio wonks about the time the V85 was being rumoured he stated that the Stelvio was sold in two forms a 4V engine and later models had an 8V motor. Such woeful and pathetic ignorance of the recent model history of the marque is inexcusable. Any person with more than a passing knowledge of Guzzi's recent history knows that ALL Stelvios use the 4VPC, total 8, valve motor! It just shows exactly how contemptuous they are of their customers! Raging assholes the lot of them!

• Like 1

Case in point: The world's foremost authority on the Moto Guzzi V11 series is not the factory, its representatives, published materials, importers, or any dealer-anywhere.  :mellow:

:thumbsup:    It are us!   :mg:

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I always look good next to a bagged 1960 El Dorado in pink over white with ghost flames and white interior.😎

That's not mine.😔

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2017 at 4:35 AM, pete roper said:

If the tune has been done properly it will of changed the TPS value. If it isn't re-set it will mean that the ECU will assume that the throttle is in a different position to that that it is. Once the TPS value moves more than 0.2-0.3 degrees above its calibrated position the spark will advance leading to a high idle occurring. This can also be exacerbated by ambient and engine temperature fluctuations.

Re-setting the self learning parameters, (Also known as clearing the trims.) restores the learned parameters of the CL map to the factory baseline. This can also be achieved by simply pulling the main 30A fuse for a few seconds.

@pete roper, is this fuse-out reset done ignition on? Off? Engine running? What?

Don't think it matters. You're simply powering down the whole system and it's this that clears the trims. One assumes that even on key off there is some slight parasitic drain for the security LED and one presumes the base functions of the ECU. 

Only thing I know is that if you remove the power the trims are cleared but I'm just a spud-thick motorbike mechanic.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, GuzziMoto said:

But yeah, the way Guzzi's pull in the mid range is what they are about. Way back when I was riding the wife's V11 on the street with a couple buddies, one of them was on an R1. He could not believe how much the V11 just pulled him coming out of the corners. Sure, the R1 could run it down once it got up and going, but that first pull out of the corners was all about the V11.

Exactly correct.... I love braking deeeeeep, crank her over and grab a handful. The millennials have yet to figure it out. 

I was up in Farmington Hills (outside of Detroit) a few weeks back blowing the cobwebs out and ran into a pack of angry bee’s... I chased them around for awhile and we all stopped at a gas station. Hopefully I converted at least one young gun to look into getting a Guzzi.  Dialed in, my baby and I are only deficient in top end grunt.    

There’s really only so much you can safely thrashing around on the back roads. So the lack of that last bit doesn’t necessarily matter to a point. Compared to my F41000 or even my 999R. The MV was not fun and I couldn’t get that bike dialed in for shit. That was like the point and shoot rice style of riding.

At least with the Ducati I could apply the power in a linear way and knew what she was up to. I suppose it’s a twin vs inline 4 power delivery and what you feel most comfortable with.

I’m thinking once this 4v gets finished, the extra low/midrange will be most welcome along with saving some critical mass where it counts. As long as the basics don’t radically change because her and I make a great team.

• Like 1