throttle body rubber in take boots re placement

Delman

Hi All

going to replace the TB intake boots on my 2002 Lemans and throttle balance tuning following the instruction from this forum.

to this I got the 4  new rubber boots coming and  a breakout harness.

got a couple of questions see if you good fox can point me in the right direction

1. how to disconnect  the synchronization ball joint from right side TB without breaking it?
  2. Any insight on replacing the TB intake boots?
  3. Any recommended TB internal cleaning while I got everything apart?

thanks

1. A small flat screwdriver should do it.

2. Never done it on this bike, but resist over tightening the clamps.

3. Not a bad idea! Ask JRD how much gunk can reside in there.

• Like 1

the ball just pops out of the  holder, if it's stuck spray with WD40 first. check for a retainer spring or washer, I don't remember if it had one. good on you for considering the plastic nature but I never had a problem popping it out.. there is an expensive Benz part in metal you can replace it with I think.

A large hammer and chisel will certainly be an effective way to disconnect the synchronization rod ball joint from the throttle body. However, that may be a bit of over kill.

I found it easier to remove the side covers and airbox to get better access to the T/B boots. The air box to T/B boots are no problem but the T/B to engine are a pain as there is a bracket between the two T/B's. Depending on how Luigi routed all the wires and hoses, you might be able to slide the T/B's back just enough to remove and replace the forward boots. That is also the best time to clean the T/B's so you can get the spray everywhere inside them. Be sure and remove the air fuel mixture screws when your cleaning everything. Count how many turns in before you remove them. This will help when you get it all back together and try to restart the engine. To clean my throttle bodies Czakky and I went through two cans of spray carb cleaner and couldn't believe the crud and carbon deposits that came out. I had to clean mine a second time, and more pieces of crud came out looking like dried varnish, and this is on a bike with only 3,000 showing on the clock. With your bike being parked in New Jersey, who know what creatures have taken up residence in yours. I did this while the T/B's were still connected with the bracket. Also, unless you really like a crinkle paint finish, I recommend removing the starter motor cover as the carb cleaner can dissolve the paint. Ask me how I know! Once again, be patient and take your time, the bike will thank you when your done.

Jerry