Looking to join the Guzzi community

BMWDavid

I'm going to look at my first MG this weekend. A 2002 LeMans. I'm a lifelong motorcyclist and have had BMW's, KTM's, Harley's and Asian bikes. Never a MG in my garage. So with that said I'm not thrilled with the current model range from MG so I thought I would go back a bit and pursue an early 2000 LeMans.

The bike I'm looking at this weekend is a 2002 LeMans, low miles (15K or so) bone stock. Asking mid $5K. I think from what I've read over the past few days trying to immerse myself in the Guzzi world that this may be a bit over priced. Please feel free to advise me otherwise. Seller did say that it had the typical bubbling paint in a few spots on the engine otherwise everything works and service up to date.

I've never considered a MG before but as I enter my 60's I'm looking for something off the beaten path so to speak that has soul. Not sure if I will fit or like the ergo's let alone the bike itself so I'm really looking forward to seeing this bike. I'm open to anything that I need to be aware of going into these uncharted waters for me. I'm not that concerned about wrenching needs as I do my own work. Just need to become more knowledgeable in things to look for and know about on the LeMans from the early 2000's.

Hope to be a regular contributor to this forum and post a picture of my purchase soon.   

Welcome David,

It sounds like you've read the FAQ so you have some idea of the differences between various V11 models.  They're all good bikes but each model year has a few quirks.  The bubbling engine paint is the major one for the 02 LeMans.  It's not a huge deal to correct but it's not a quick fix either.

Unless you're way over or under average height you probably shouldn't be too concerned about the ergo's.  The best advice that I've seen on the V11 ergos is ride the bike with the stock setup for at least three thousand miles before considering changing anything.

I agree that mid $5k is high for a bone stock 02 LeMans.  For about the same money you should be able to find an Ohlins equipped V11.  For a few hundred more you could buy Lee's Rossa Corsa with Ohlins suspension, which will be quite a bit nicer that the marzocchi/sachs combo on the LeMans.  See the link below.  Lee has already corrected one of the two flaws with that generation of V11s; he replaced the header pipes with earlier ones that don't have the floppy front crossover.  He has some really nice Ferracci exhaust cans on there too.  The other flaw with that generation is the ITI speedometer and tach are not particularly long-lived.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19078

Good luck with your search!

You have come to the right place! :thumbsup:  While we pass the Kool-Aid around daily, this community is really honest about the things that V11 need and the various ways to approach them.

I remember a period article saying (the V11) was a (fine bike), but would require some "owner attention." :whistle:

Indeed so, but once fettled these are great machines. :luigi:

What color is the '02 you're looking at?

I would say the price is good for the low miles, a V11 is a lot of bike for 5K IMHO, I paid almost that for a high mileage one written off by the insurance company, I have never regretted it.

+1 on Tom's suggestion to consider Lee's bike:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19067

I think these bikes are undervalued in general. Great fun at a reasonable price point. Paying a bit more for a well-maintained and well-equipped bike will save money in the long run.

Pass the Kool-Aid.

The other flaw with that generation is the ITI speedometer and tach are not particularly long-lived.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19078

Good luck with your search!

My 02 had Veglia speedo.. there was an issue with the shifter spring on the 02 but no biggie, carry a spare.

David, you sound like me: long time enthusiast, mostly BMWs and I have a 2002 Lemans (champagne color, universally acknowledged as the most fun color), and I too am in my 60s. I bought it new in 2006. It now has 33K on it. Yes, it has the bubbly paint on the engine but it doesn't really bother me. The only thing is the shifter spring (pawl spring) that broke at 5k and again at 24k.

The bike is fast, handles well, and the engine sound is beautiful. I'm 5' 11" and the bike is surprisingly comfortable- much more comfortable than it looks. I also have BMWs, a Triumph, and a Kawasaki. I had an FJR (like you) but we didn't see eye to eye.

• Like 2

No did not buy this one. Still going to look around. A couple of members have contacted me about their bikes. Good to hear that others are in my age group. Hope to still ride these type of bikes as long as the body allows. I've had just about everything under the sun during the past 44 years of riding. Never a MG though...got to correct that!