Fuel tank re-install?

stuarto49

I have a 2001 V11 Sport.  I've removed the fuel tank twice recently for maintenance and some wiring upgrades.  Each time re-installing the tank has been very difficult.  Everything I can see looks OK, have applied silicone spray to the rubber disks on both sides up front. Cannot visualize any parts which would prevent complete forward seating.  But pushing the last 1/2" forward is very difficult, and have had to use much force to get the tank forward enough to engage bolts at rear of tank.  Still not fully forward, IMO.   

Any suggestions?

Thanks,   Stuart

Do a search on tank swelling. Mine has done the same. I've currently got it empty and ventilated in the hope that it will shrink a little while I'm waiting for a new clutch.

Swelling could be the problem - but sitting around for 2 months in summer for "de-swelling" doesn't sound like a fun solution (but great idea if you already waiting for parts). There are various wires and hoses that can interfere with getting the tank back on properly, but it sounds like you are aware of those.

Beyond that, it appears to me that there are two other possible adjustments:

1. The spring-nut on the frame at the back of the tank (front of seat). Make sure that is positioned as far back as possible.
  2. The rubber tank mounts on the frame (near the steering head). It seems that these could be shaved down a bit without negatively affecting anything. This would allow you to push the whole tank forward a touch. I have not done this, nor have I heard about anyone else doing it - it's just something I briefly considered while also also fighting to get a tank back on.

Thanks very much.  Read numerous stories about swelling and ideas for 'un-swelling' (NOT likely).  Anyway, glad I'm not suffering alone. 

I'm thinking that I may 'adjust' those rubber disks to allow slightly more forward movement (at the risk of hitting tank at full lock). 

Stuart

I'm thinking that I may 'adjust' those rubber disks to allow slightly more forward movement (at the risk of hitting tank at full lock). 

Take pics in case it works...   :sun:

...or in case it doesn't.  :!:

Certainly sounds like tank swell. A case for non-ethanol fuel. :thumbsup:  And a reminder to only remove the tank when it is (near) empty, support it on a buck from underneath instead of resting it on its "panniers."

I would be concerned about positioning the tank further forward, especially on an early "short frame" V11as they are prone to contacting the forks as is.

I have been using that Bell ethanol stuff. Maybe it works, not sure.

In any case, I thought my tank had swelled too, until it dropped into place suddenly when refitting.

So, I think it is also a matter of getting the angle just right to get it back on.

Caswell treatment will stop any future swelling. The latest generation of tank sealer works beautifully...  Many many many fuel tanks that aren't made from metal are prone to this..  exposure to our domestic insane alcohol petroswill will expand them and deform them... dammit. Ducati and BMW plastic tanks suffer terribly as well... alcohol in fuel destroys about everything.. oil washdown in the cylinders...mixing atmospheric and condensational water into the fuel...  the list goes on.  Best plan is to seal the tank immediately when new and freah... second best is to thoroughly dry it and coat the inside with Caswell tank sealer...   and be patient and deliberate with the process....  after the fact... use LIQUID POWER...  made by PowerPlus... mostly used in 7000 Horsepower alcohol top fueled dragsters..lving.. never have.ifor a  prevents cylinder oil washdown and may preclude any more swelling.. and will preserve your engine and protect it from the destructive alcohol infused crapfuel we get from the pumps here now...  I have personally used both Caswell and Powerplus with a 100% success rate....  own stock in neither.. do not sell anything for a living and never have. I am just trying to be helpful around this place and I hope this helps. I like the GRAPE scented powerplus.....  no kidding....  it mediates the eyeburn we feel around top fuel dragsters and leaves an interesting and pleasant smell behind you... have some fun with THAT! You WILL be asked.. "you put bananas in yer tank or something"?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I agree with the Caswell coating, I think mine has that. But I would consider trying to un-swell a swollen tank a bit first, fearing that the water already in the nylon will be sealed in by the sealer. That would be optional, depending on the patience of the owner.

What about, after getting ALL the fuel out, leaving the tank in a hot car under a blanket, out of the sun, for x number of days to try to accelerate the process?