KOSO RX1N install details

stuarto49

I chose the RX1N to replace the ailing instruments on my 2001 V11 Sport, partly because of its 'balanced' design and also because it was less expensive than the RX2 model.  

Thank you to the other posters on several threads on this forum, particularly with wiring tips.

I made an aluminum mounting plate to attach to the existing M6 shock mount bolts, with mounting holes for the KOSO plate a bit narrower.  (see photos of mounting plate).  

Below the mounting plate is screwed a plastic 'project' box from Radio Shack - this housed the cables from the KOSO and the wires from the bike, along with connections for tach feed, speedo sensor and one of the temp sensors.  

Koso_03.jpg

Koso_04.jpg

Photos below show the junction box with only the KOSO cable, and the box with all the connections made.  

I used small plastic (nylon?) strain relief fittings for both cables - to ensure waterproof entry of the cables.  Inside I made the connections with red posi-lok connectors.  I mounted one of the included temp sensor thru the wall of the box to display air temp, but haven't got this one working just yet.   

Koso_01.jpg

Koso_05.jpg

Photos below show the speedo sensor mounted at bottom of right fork.  A small stainless steel plate was used to bridge from the M6 mounting hole in the fork leg to the included sensor bracket, also with an M6 bolt.  More photos and measurements upon request.    

I decided to use two of the included magnets which just happen to fit into the center hole of  the disk mounts.  Once I tested this arrangement I used two-part epoxy to permanently mount those two magnets.  

I found the setup instruction a little overwhelming for my 66 y-o brain and thought about finding a 16 year-old to help decipher the required process.  Instead I sat down and found the note about entering the setup screen - HOLD BOTH buttons for 3 sec.  Then you are instructed to press the select button a number of times to reach each function.  The 'Cycle/piston' setting is the for tach.  I set for 2 pistons, 2 cycles, high active.  The tach needle step around along with various cryptic symbols to show which feature you are working on (sort of).  

The fuel level is NOT going to work as the float in my bike is only OFF-ON for low fuel.  I used the KOSO indicator for low oil pressure (grey on KOSO to blue/black on bike) as my bike has a real oil pressure gauge instead of the idiot light.  Not sure if this is working properly, until I run low on fuel.  

For wiring I followed a chart from posts on the RX2N thread although some wire colors were different on my KOSO.  I connected the violet on KOS (Alternator light) to the Blue on bike.  

For the tach I used the Yellow/Black wire which fed my dead tach, and this connected to the KOSO Brown wire with bullet connector.   

Other setup details from RX2N thread were very helpful and my other indicators worked perfectly - high beam, left and right turn signals.  

My tire circumference was tape measured at 74.5 inches converted to 1890mm.  Set this easily with TWO sensor points.  One slight adjustment (1870 I think) has the speedo dead on with my GPS. 

Still fooling with the shift light and a couple other details.   As expected there are another dozen features which I don't need so I think I will make a simplified setup chart on a single sheet.  

Stuart

Koso_02.jpg

Koso_08.jpg

• Like 2

Nice one Stuart, I'm almost looking forward to pretending to be an 'trician now.
I'm going to need a round back-box or cup, whatever, to fit my unit...  Getting one that's something like could be difficult.

I did a quick search on eBay and came across many items, many from Hong Kong.  

Here is one from US - I think this is the same size as mine.  Probably from same source as Radio Shack.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Project-Box-or-Electronics-Enclosure-5x2-5x1-7-inches-/111692516097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a01648b01

Here's another with clear top, from HK   http://www.ebay.com/itm/85x58x33mm-Waterproof-Cover-Clear-Plastic-Electronic-Project-Box-Enclosure-CASE-/281390875149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418434020d

I did not search for UK only but there are so many sizes and configurations you can certainly find a suitable unit.   

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the shift light and 'pre' shift light working OK now as well as the ambient (air) temp via the sensor mounting thru my junction box just below the instrument.  And the speed indication is within 1 mph up to about 75, so far.  Set the speed 'warning' light for 65 but that's got to move up.  

The documentation leaves much to be desired, especially after helping STEWGNU sort out his neutral light issue.  What we learned is that the KOSO is looking for the neutral signal to be pulled down to ground (12V-) and the newer V11's have reverse logic - when in neutral the signal goes UP to 12V+.  A simple relay fixed that problem.  

Accordingly, very pleased with my choice for this instrument.