Rear Brake Let Go at Speed!

H-E-Ross

While out for a ride this evening I was running down a steep pitch with sharp curves. Into the first curve I felt my speed was a little excessive! Braking with my front, as is my custom didn't feel quite right in this situation. As I made my way into the next curve I applied my rear to see if the results were more satisfactory (I almost never use my rear brake). All of a sudden I get a shake and a pop and no rear brake. Using my front, I bring the bike to a stop. Inspecting in the dark I determine the rear brake line is severed and after securing it make my way home with caution and less aggressive speed.   In the light of my driveway I see the root of the problem; the bolt that held the caliper bracket in place is absent. When I applied the brake it pulled the bracket around yanking the brake line from the master cylinder. 

I had the tires changed at the dealership a short time ago. This bolt may not have been replaced at this time if it was removed for this spring service. I feel that if it was reinstalled it definitely  wasn't properly torqued.

My question is ; Should I pitch a bitch? This could have been a real problem in an emergency braking situation.

Let's start with the good news. You kept the shiny side up and the thinking part (you) off the pavement.

My suggestion is:  Go straight to the manager/owner of the shop or service department and explain calmly, without any accusation, that you had a real incident that could have resulted in accident or injury - but didn't, due to your heads-up riding. Now you are worried about anything else that was touched during that recent service - and perhaps state that you are uncertain about bringing the bike in for future service. Focus on your ongoing relationship. What does the manager/owner think they should do in response to this problem?

It's difficult for anyone to prove what happened, although your explanation seems 100% logical to me. My guess is that the bolt was installed, but not torqued - that it just loosened and fell out somewhere. If not installed, even a light touch on the brakes would have caused this problem much sooner. I think your "at a minimum" request should be that the dealer offer you free labor if you buy the parts - but ideally they would cover the parts and give the bike a thorough complimentary inspection while they're at it. Give them a chance to find something else wrong and be of genuine service to you.

I think I know which bolt you are talking about - the one that goes through a small metal block that fits in a channel in the caliper bracket. Interestingly, this bolt has a cotter pin on my 2003 LeMans, but no cotter pin on my 2002 Scura (same as your Tenni). To repair, you probably need to get a brake line, that small block (which probably also went AWOL), and a bolt (hopefully the caliper was not damaged when the line ripped out). Maybe you should request a bolt for a 2003 or later model. I think the 2003 bolt is a bit longer than the 2002 - the part with the hole for the pin sticks out toward the wheel. The fact that a cotter pin appears on the 2003 model (along with all the other changes made at that time) suggests a response by Moto Guzzi to a known problem. May as well make it better/safer while you're in there...

You forgot to do your 'post dealer service inspection' of every fastener they could have possibly touched. 

This...^

Also another reason I do my own mechanical work, other than changing tires.

I don't trust anybody, especially inattentive/alcoholic/overworked/ADD/idiot mechanics.

See above x 2.

If you take the wheels off yourself you can check pads, bearings and so on and know that it has all been put back together correctly.

You can also get the price of the tyre/tyres down as there is no labour to pay.

If you are worried about doing the job take pictures, list the parts and the order they came off. Just take your time, even if it takes you a while you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and know it's been done properly.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't sure if this bolt would have been removed with a tire change and spring service or not. 

As Scud suggested it may have worked its way lose over time. Believe it or not this may have been the first time I applied the rear brake since I had the service done. I guess I bear some responsibility for not doing a complete safety check! I understand the motives for doing your own repairs are greater than saving $. In my case I wish I had more time to ride, never mind wrenching (an activity I get satisfaction from, but don't particularly enjoy). I will bring it back to the dealer and request some consideration.....

the one that goes through a small metal block that fits in a channel in the caliper bracket

If it is this one this is not the first time it happens. I remember having read about it. I have once tightened the screw (34) and do not take it out anymore. The metal block (33) is a loose part which can be taken out as a single part (the screw can stay - the tire "fits in" when taken out/back). I wonder if the new type screw with the saftey spin fits to older models ?

Cpin.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I just changed the rear tire on my V11S, and I forgot to tighten down the carrier bolt on the rear carrier. Good thing I didn't ride the bike yet...

I'm glad you're ok, and good luck getting this all sorted out.

Ken

Indeed, the later generation (2003 on) added the longer pivot bolt with securing pin inboard (I wonder why??? :whistle: ) Yet, it would appear that the later carrier bracket must also be upgraded to allow for the bolt tip to pass through (?)

Like Camn, I cleaned the threads and torqued the unsecured bolt on my early Sport and NEVER take it loose, only sliding the fiddly block out for wheel removal.

This phrase appears in the the Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist:

>Clean the rear brake carrier pin and block; lube lightly and be certain the pin threads are clean, lubed and well torqued. (later V11s have a retaining clip on the inboard side)

But I'll add a stronger warning and a link back to this thread. Thanks for posting this and so glad you are ok from the incident, H-E-Ross!

• Like 1

Looks to me like the carrier bracket on 02/03 is the same casting - but the 03 has a hole in it for the special bolt. I think you could drill a hole in the 02 bracket and use the special bolt (part #34 in MY2003 image in Camn's post). It would be relatively easy to mark the location for the hole when everything is still on the bike - just use a center-punch after removing the bolt.

How many miles ago was this done ? I would be furious and would go to the shop owner and ask him what he would expect if someone did this to his bike ? 

Shops have garage liability insurance to cover incidents such as this . It should be repaired to " as before " condition . Take plenty of photos before doing anything.

Last but not least ....ALWAYS go behind  your shop's work and thoroughly examine every fastener and all cable , wiring and or hose routing to see if it will pass muster .

How many miles ago was this done ? I would be furious and would go to the shop owner and ask him what he would expect if someone did this to his bike ? 

Shops have garage liability insurance to cover incidents such as this . It should be repaired to " as before " condition . Take plenty of photos before doing anything.

Last but not least ....ALWAYS go behind  your shop's work and thoroughly examine every fastener and all cable , wiring and or hose routing to see if it will pass muster .

The service was done less than two months & 1000 miles ago. The mechanic is an owner and is no kid. I am not sure I can totally hang the blame on him. I must say that I tire of constantly checking the work of those I hire. I guess the lesson to remember here is; where safety is concerned you can never check often enough. I don't expect to suffer this particular problem ever again, retaining clip or no.