Guzzidiag keeps disconnecting.

Walterg

This weekend we hooked up several Guzzi's (4 California's, a Sport 1200 and my V11 2003 Le Mans to GuzziDiag and my
bike was the only one with connecting problems.

The way (try) to get things working is to connect the cables to both the laptop and V11. Guzzidiag then gets some data from
the bike (like the ECU id) and instructs me to turn on the ignition key. As soon as I do that GuzziDiag resets all values to zero as if
the bike wasn't connected. I suspect that maybe a voltage drop is causing this but alas we forgot to measure this.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the 'disconnect' ?

Walter

20150627_125753-1.jpg

It looks like a voltage drop, because the screenshot you post has data from ecu. The sequence is different,:you tell guzzidiag to connect, that tells you to turn ignition on, and guzzidiag gets ecu info. Normaly you see this behavior when people start the bike, then you have a voltage drop too, if battery isn't strong. 

• Like 1

I do wish we had a step-by-step tutorial on using just guzzidiag, including the CO trim adjustment, separate from the long thread pinned above.

If you give me some time Docc I might be able to do something like that. I've done a good amount of fiddling with guzzidiag. No expert but with a correct setup I can walk through it.

• Like 2

I checked again with the guy who actually tried to setup the connection and Paul is right about the correct sequence.
The disconnect happens when we start te bike not when you turn the key. I was already suspecting a poor battery as
starting the bike on any given day seems like a "heavy" task for the starter. It kind off slowly turns over three
times and then the bike fires up. After a 30 minute ride it starts much better.
I already have several reasons for replacing the battery. This is another one.

• 7 years later...

Hey everyone, I'm digging up this old post as I experienced a similar situation.  Yesterday was my first boot up of Guzzidiag.  I have the official Lonelec cables, used the cable driver from the Guzzidiag site.  The latest Guzzidiag version.  I was able to connect to the V11 no problem.  Used the reader to save my current map and the went to check the CO trim.  But here's where the problem happened.  The connection between Guzzidiag and the bike was just fine until it asked me to start the engine.  Upon starting the connection broke and the software froze.  I had to end the task and restart.  Tried again and the same thing.  I repeated this a couple times without changing anything (insanity I know...).   So I gave up for the night and started researching the wealth of information on this site and found the above post about a voltage drop being the likely root cause of the disconnect.

I believe Guzzidiag  inadvertently diagnosed that I have a dying battery.  I checked my battery voltage and it was down to 11.8V or about 20% state of charge.  And now with this new info looking back I have also had a few start issues where it takes me two times to get it going.  I put the battery on the charger for a bit last night and got it back up to 12.8V and this morning I am at 12.5V.  This evening I will charge it back up to 12.8V and attempt the CO trim adjustment to confirm that the voltage drop is the root cause of the disconnect.

Btw, I was able to display the current CO trim setting on the bike which is at -50.  I just couldn't 'Finish' the adjustment.

So if the bad battery is confirmed, I think I am going to switch over to a lighter lithium one.

When the starter draws current the voltage drops. If it goes below critical (10.5?) the program will abort. At least that's the way it seems to work with the W5AM. If it's different with the 15M/RC I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me.

The actual interaction of the ecu and any of the Guzzidiag suite of tools is very low in energy demands. It will continue operating quite happily as the actual current draw is low. You can have a battery that s almost completely buggered and it will show 12.5V when it's not doing anything. As soon as you stick a load on it though the voltage will drop to nothing!

charging it up probably won't help. Buy a new battery and make sure all the important connections are clean and then try again with a battery charger hooked up to the battery. That way you should have ample amps for the voltage not to drop past the point of criticality when you suddenly impose the big load of trying to start the great fat pig of a thing by pressing the 'Brumm' button.

• Like 3

So yesterday evening I confirmed it was a voltage drop which was causing the Guzzidiag disconnect.  I checked the battery voltage after work and the voltage held steady throughout the day at 12.5V.  I put the charger back on it and brought it to about 13.0V.  I then booted up Guzzidiag, connected, started the engine, and the connection held!

After I got the bike up to temperature I was able to adjust the CO trim.  It was initially set to -50.  I tried a few small adjustments of increasing by 5 at a time.  The frustrating thing was that Guzzidiag is forcing me to exit the program after each adjustment.  It won't let me make multiple changes to the CO trim without first closing the program, shutting off the bike, reopening the program, restart the bike, and then make the next adjustment.  Oh well, just a minor inconvenience.

I decided to just go finish with a CO trim setting of -5.  After that I went for a ride and HOT DAMN is that throttle smooth!!  I am now about 3/4 of the way through the Decent Tune up with each step making a noticeable improvement in the engine performance.  Up next is the throttle body balance.  After that I will probably play around with tweaking the CO trim some more and try a couple of the bin files floating around to see how they feel.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cowtownchemist said:

The frustrating thing was that Guzzidiag is forcing me to exit the program after each adjustment.  It won't let me make multiple changes to the CO trim without first closing the program, shutting off the bike, reopening the program, restart the bike, and then make the next adjustment.

I can't say what, but something is going wrong there, or being done wrong.

I watched Bernd and Karsten doing exactly that only last weekend. They started (on a V11 Sport Greenie) at -20, went down 10 twice, up to -10, and then back to -20, all without interruption. The motor was running, and Guzzidiag was connected, the whole time.

What I do know is, if you turn off the ignition, you have to re-connect Guzzi Diag. If you want to stop the motor whilst Guzzidiag is connected, but will be continuing the analysis, use the kill switch, not the ignition switch.

Edit: that they ended up with -20 should not be considered as the right value for every bike. It was a good setting for that bike, but a different bike might want a different setting. -20 would seem to be a good starting point, since "the experts" started there. The crux of the matter is to go up and down and find the best setting for the bike in question. :)

• Thanks 1