Motorcycle shipping

czakky

Wow, scarry!!!  Keyboard uses metal framed carriers with rollers.  They roll your bike onto the carrier, tie it down, step on a lever which lowers the rollers there-by raising the carrier.  Wheel the carrier and bike onto the trailer lift gate and into the trailer where the entire package is anchored down.  They have my vote for any future shipping! 

Wow, scarry!!!  Keyboard uses metal framed carriers with rollers.  They roll your bike onto the carrier, tie it down, step on a lever which lowers the rollers there-by raising the carrier.  Wheel the carrier and bike onto the trailer lift gate and into the trailer where the entire package is anchored down.  They have my vote for any future shipping! 

So, just for general reference, they charge by the mile, by weight, flat rate . . .?

You just have to call for a quote . They will coordinate shipment with other moves and save you $$$ if you are not in a hurry . They are shipped in enclosed trailer w/plenty of TLC .

This company started out shipping pianos & has since incorporated motorcycles into the act. You will not be disappointed with these people ,  

I have used Keyboard Carriage ( yes ) motorcycle haulers located in Elizabethtown , Ky... GREAT service.

@g: you're talking these people, right?

(I get the "Keyboard Carriage" part now!)

Keyboard sounds like a good outfit, which gives me an idea...

Czakky - I have a lovely piano that I don't play much anymore. I would gladly "store" your LeMans in my living room and ship the piano on to you. Docc's earlier idea about storing your bike near mountains is good - but at my place, it will have MOUNTAINS nearby and still be close to the salty ocean air to which it is accustomed.

@Scud of your two v11s mine would be last choice to put in a living room. She's held together with JB weld, mismatched parts, electrical tape, various brackets and a chianti cork keeps the roaches from getting in my bell housing...

Thanks for the shipping suggestions. Looks like Haulbikes is running a summer special for $499! With 15k insurance.

. . . Docc's earlier idea about storing your bike near mountains is good - but at my place, it will have MOUNTAINS nearby . . .

Oh, man, that's cold. :unsure:

While you were riding the TIOGA PASS, I was trying not to say anything about my little foray up Hogjaw Valley . . . :blink:

. . . and a chianti cork keeps the roaches from getting in my bell housing...

Dude! That's my favorite part!

IMG_7185.jpg

. . . Docc's earlier idea about storing your bike near mountains is good - but at my place, it will have MOUNTAINS nearby . . .

Oh, man, that's cold. :unsure:

...cuz of the elevation.   :whistle:

Docc- I cant recall exactly how they actually charged as I called and talked to over half dozen different companies.  What I learned was some of these companies are just clearing houses.  They do the advertising and refer your request to the trucking company. The trucking company will then contact you for the pick up and delivery dates with the referral fee added on .  Several companies required you to drop off and pick up your bike at a designated terminal.  I also learned that if you read the small print many of these companies have the country divided into several "zones" and you are charged the fee for transporting from one zone to the next.  An additional "fuel surcharge" is added on to the final fee depending on how many zones your bike is transported.  And worst of all, some companies allow just about anyone with a pick up truck haul your bike. One photo showed a guy arriving with a pick up truck and a gutted camper trailer to haul a customers bike.

Like I said before, Keyboard quoted me one price, no fuel surcharges, and had great insurance coverage. They had door to door pick up and delivery, contacted me when they picked up the bike from the seller, called me twice to confirm delivery time and date and had the bike securely anchored in transport.  I could have saved maybe $50-$75.00 with another company but I was totally satisfied with no qualms about recommending them. 

Anybody have any experience shipping bikes in the states? Any outfits to recommend? Is there a way to ship without bottoming the suspension for a week?

Moving back to the Midwest (WI) from FL.

moving companies will move motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc.  Usually, you have to drain the gas.  I recommend door to door for motorcycles vs putting them in storage.  I've had it done three times.

that was another point I was not required to day with Keyboard.  LowRyter, were you required to tie your bikes down yourself or did the shipping company do that?

Czakky- when you get a chance go to the  AF-1/Aprilia Forum. Check their general discussion section for literally dozens of comments and referrals for shipping companies. 

I had paid moves by my employer.  They hired packers and movers.  The mover gave me instructions regarding the motorcycle, which was no instructions for two and one wanted me to drain the gas.  I had three moves ranging from 1500 miles to 500 miles.  I had minor damage on one of them when they packed some soft gear on my bike.  It was heavy and broke a couple of plastic screws on the windhsield.  The guy gave me a $20 bill if I wouldn't file a claim.

• 4 weeks later...

Me and Roxy the boxer-mutt made the trip, followed by my bike a week and a half later. I used Haulbikes and their $499 summer special. They were ok...bike was late and when it showed up there was some minor damage. No worries she is no show bike....

Glad to have my bike back and in an awesome motorcycling area! Gotta mind the gravel, white tails and tar snakes though. Totally forgot about that stuff being in Florida for so long. All is good!