V11 drive shaft play normal?

Robin_V11

Hello,

I'm not sure, but I think there is a problem with my Guzzi that needs attention.
Can you help me and tell me if it suppose to be like this or not?

I did some cleaning last night and discovered that there is some play in the driveshaft.
The bolts are torqued properly but there is still al lot of play on the splines. It's perfect on the gearbox side. The shaft from the differential does not have any play at all. It's just the drive shaft that seems to be the problem.

In the video you can hear and see the problem.
https://youtu.be/GrdwVr3Qv9E

It drives perfect, without any noise or vibration. I'm the 3rd owner and have it since 2009. It only does have 18750 miles on the clock and I replaced the original 1st Moto Guzzi battery (from 1999) last year. The bike is really taken care for. It's one of the first V11 sport from 1999.

Can you tell me what you think of this problem? Or does any of you did have something like this?

Mine also drives well but has a bit of play.  Not sure how much is ok before needing attention.

Pasotibbs mentioned to me that access to the bearing at the bevel box end is particularly awkward.

You'd think that the shaft would be robust and last well but :huh2:

Stew

I have 2 '02 LM's, one with 12k mi. and barely a hint of play, and one with 16k miles with just a bit more play. nothing like yours. in the video it looks as if the diff output shaft is a bit wobbly. am I seeing that right? that would give me concern. the rest is driveline lash. I'm not a tech so don't rely, but I'd call it normal.

Like you say Stew, you'd think that the shaft would be robust and last well... probably not when it's this exact design. :huh2:

@footgoose, thanks for the reply. I agree, it looks like it in de video, but the diff output shaft is not wobbly at all. I checked it a couple of times. Also because I was afraid for damage on the diff or the bearings.

Robin, you need to tighten the socket ( Allen ) head bolts that clamp the driveshaft to the diff. shaft 1/6 turn at a time until all slack is gone .Then I would go 1/4 turn more. 

Make sure you are making progress while you are doing this because it could be worn too much to help any .

Robin, you need to tighten the socket ( Allen ) head bolts that clamp the driveshaft to the diff. shaft 1/6 turn at a time until all slack is gone .Then I would go 1/4 turn more. 

Make sure you are making progress while you are doing this because it could be worn too much to help any .

Nothing to do with this I'm afraid.

Looks fairly typical, I have two bevel boxes with about 40000klms on them each and they are both pretty much the same.

It's play in either the input pinion inner needle bearing or the outer combined split needle and ball unit.

You can tell which one if you pull the bevel box off and apply a technique that is a bit hard to explain here but it can be done easily.

If it's the inner small bearing it's an issue that needs addressing if it's the outer it's not too much of an worry.

Drop the oil out and look for metal,if it's ok the you should be fine.

Btw I have given detailed explain action of how to identify which bearing has the play in a post a few years ago. Try searching my posts.

Ciao

No, but here is the copied post

Ciao

I have 2 low mileage bevel boxes and both have play in the front bearing. adjusting the ring nut didnt have any impact on the play. Have used both of them and it doesnt seem to be an issue but when I rebuild the spare if a new bearing doesnt remove the play I will attempt to shim it out with some home made shims if possible.

To check whether the play is in the small internal needle bearing or the outer needle/ball hybrid just grip the input shaft and apply a longitudinal rotational force to it to load up the inner bearing then at the same time try to move the shaft up and down vertically.

If you can still feel play at the end you are gripping then the play is in the outer bearing,if not its the inner.Both mine are in the outer bearing and from memory I calculated it at around 0.0015" radial which I can live with.

I'd rather it be less but it is what it is.

Ciao

Thanks for the feedback. I've done a lot of reading over the weekend. :thumbsup:
I think I need to live with it for now and look very close to it when it get worse.
That way I can save some money to do a complete rebuild in the future. For me it's a bike I never going to sell and I only drive max. like 500 miles a year.