any AMA members?

Just curious. Does anyone have an AMA membership, and have you found it useful? I'm not quite as adventurous as I once was and am considering a membership primarily for catastrophic breakdowns. Are there alternatives? I know AAA does not cater to motorcycles. I called and they just said no. How weird. Seems like there would be money to be made.

I'm an AMA member; have been for a while. I see it sort of like a charitable contribution, but I sometimes get discounts because of the membership. The magazine that comes along with it is usually worth reading. They lobby for motorcyclists' rights and try to keep riding areas open (for dirt bikes) - stuff I appreciate but don't have time to get informed about.

I think AAA is different in each state. In California, the RV option includes motorcycle retrieval/hauling. Maybe that's the same where you live and the rep didn't know about it. The basic membership gives the free towing, gas, unlock your car, etc. I upgraded to a level that provides up to 100 miles of towing for any vehicle - the probability of breaking an Italian motorcycle within 25 miles of a good place to get it fixed is quite low.

+1 on the AMA.

Their Road Service is second to none. I've seen it in the field over the years helping friends out of tight spots.

The clincher: for the cost of membership, the Road Service covers my bikes, my passenger cars, and my son's car while he's away at college.

Last month's magazine had a delightful article about riding through New Zealand - made me think of dd ("dangerous") and long for a journey . . .

On top of the political action: Awesome! :thumbsup:

When I saw " Doc" post re the AMA I thought you guys had an equivalent to the Australian Medical Association , but then I saw Scud mention lobying for motorcyclist rights.... NOTHING like our AMA!!!

For what it's worth, at our clinic 4/6 of the partners ride motorbikes but I think only 2 are AMA members.

As for riding in NZ...it's been a decade since I last nipped over there....I really should go again! Motorbike heaven.

AMA = American Medical, Management, or Motorcyclist Association. 

The M in AMA almost always means medical in US conversations - probably as it does in Australia. But on this forum, I think we can assume the M will be for Motorcycle.

Here's AMA's take on lane-splitting (which I do lot):  http://americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements/lanesplitting.aspx

And wikipedia's take on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

How'd you like to be able to legally ride up to the front of every red light and get the hole-shot on every green light?  I love it... seriously shortens travel time. IMO, it should be legal everywhere. AMA supports legislation to make it possible.

I'm a Life Member and have been a member since 1977. Never had to use their services but the magazine is a good read and they lobby hard for motorcyclists rights. I think all motorcyclist should be a member. We as a group regardless of what we ride need to stick together.

I'm a Life Member and have been a member since 1977. Never had to use their services but the magazine is a good read and they lobby hard for motorcyclists rights. I think all motorcyclist should be a member. We as a group regardless of what we ride need to stick together.

+1 there, again! :thumbsup:

American Motorcyclist Association

Motorcyclist rights and lobbying are worth supporting with membership dues. Signing petitions electronically is an AMA service I like, the most recent being the E-85 effort to oppose the spread of higher-ethanol blended fuels across the country.

I was a member.  Didn't get much out of it but wanted the tow service when I purchased my RV.

I see nothing wrong with anyone buying E85 if they want it.  

I'd like to see legal lane splitting (filtering through traffic).  Neither AMA nor ABATE do anything for that.  If AMA did much about riders' rights, I might consider it again.  

AMA seems big on off roaders use of public land, I am not competent to know anything about that.  

AMA sanctions racing, which has largely been a disaster.  If joining AMA would improve racing I might consider it.  

Well, it sounds mostly positive. I'll try it for a year or 2 and see how it goes. I don't have much faith in any PAC, so to be determined....

My dad liked to add ethanol in the pickup during the winter. He said it helped with condensation in the tank. I don't want it in any of my motorcycles, especially the nylon tankers. The politics of ethanol I'll leave for another day, and place.

Thanks for the input all.