Titanium ECU?

docc

Reading an ECU from a 2003 Rosso Corsa with guzzidiag populates the ECU information with:

IAW 15M PF3C

3D02V59G

Yet, the ECU itself is labeled:

IAW 15M. C7

I don't see a selection in the drop down for the "titanium ECU." Is that what this "C7" represents?

IMG_2982.jpg

Here's the MG Kit Racing ECU on my LeMans.  Titanio - lovely Italian word.

As I understand it, the ECUs were not actually different than stock; they just had a different map loaded on them.

Someday I will connect to GuzziDiag and join the rest of the discussion...

So, it looks like this is not a Titanium/Racing ECU.

3D02V59G is the original V11 map.

What is "C7?"

As the downloadable leaflets here show, I understand that Guzzi sold a kit: ”Titanium”, which always included both the ecu and the silencers. Somebody attached once copies (on some forum) of the Guzzi original throttle adjustment instructions which came with the Titanium kit, and there it says: “The silencers have to be fitted with Titanium Racing CDI, using these silencers with other CDI could damage the engine.”

The rare Nero- and Rosso Corsas did not include this Titanium kit from the factory. Meinolf (again, the one who knows everything about 15M ecus :)) actually confirmed me when I asked if he wanted a copy of a titanium ecu software that my pal has, that he has already that software and it is nothing else than the standard ecu and mapping which makes the motor run more rich. Since the kit was sold “only for track use”, I assume the ecu is always a 15M, not 15RC, although Nero- and Rosso Corsas came out with cats and 15RC.

The first row that GuzziDiag shows, is always “fixed” and comes with the model selection. The ecu type “15M” and tps type “PF3C” are always as a pair there, and come from the GuzziDiag PC software.  It shows to the user, what has been selected. You can check this by selecting another Guzzi type. Actually the important thing is that the ecu and tps types are right, the type of the motorcycle can be anything. For example the setting “California Jackal/Special/Stone or any V11 model which has 15M ecu do work quite as well. Only the next two rows are read from the ecu (and can be written with TunerPro).

IAW 15M. C"X" => I have also been wondering this marking. As far as I understand it defines the ecu more in detail. So if someone needs an ecu, if one can be found with the very same text like “IAW 15M.C7”, it works (after reflashing with GuzziDiiag Tools) for sure no matter from which bike it came. But people have succeeded in installing also ecus where the last markings do not match 100%. For example many people have changed to their Ducatis race ecus and there seem to be second hand ecus available from Ducatis (the original ones) with fair prices (original second hand Guzzi ecus are more rare). I have understood that the GuzziDiag Writer reflashes (partly?) also the “firmware” (who I am) of the ecu, not only the “software” (maps).

• Like 1

Hi,

some comments in addition to Camn's explanation.

"titanium ecu software .... it is nothing else than the standard ecu and mapping which makes the motor run more rich"

Not quite. There are more differences in the BIN than just fuel and ignition maps. But I couldn't find any differences which I believe are relevant to performance. But this might well be due to yet to be documented functions in the BIN. I will eventually copy the numerous changes of my current BIN on top of a Titanium BIN and see if there's a noticeable difference.

"The ecu type “15M” and tps type “PF3C” are always as a pair there, and come from the GuzziDiag PC software."

The string "15M" is in the BIN (beginning $AF00), PF03C is not. However, as GuzziReader doesn't copy the entire BIN to a file, PF03C might be contained in the code which we don't see. GuzziDiags adds, as Camn explains, the latter to clearly identify the TPS type which is assumed to be used on the motorcycle.

This shouldn't be of interest under normal circumstances. The exception is if a TPS with a different resistance curve is used instead of the PF03C. The BIN contains two 16x16 tables (and a 3rd one for the Quota 1100) serving as lookup tables in which voltage values (from the TPS) and the associated TPS angles are stored. This is where you would have to change values if a different TPS is used.

"C"X" => I have also been wondering this marking"

Currently my best guess is that the characters after 15M either indicate hardware versions or are specific to the different customers. I have seen the 15M used by Ducati labeled with 15M.A2 and the MG ones with 15M.C5 or C7. And only recently did I hear that the 15M is also used in asian scooters, the designation used there being P. Go and figure.

Cheers

Meinolf

On a somewhat related topic, I thought I read somewhere the difference between the 15M and 15RC is the lambda sensor. My 2004 Cafe Sport has a plug in for the lambda sensor. What would the benefits/disadvantages be of installing a 15RC ECU in my V11 (has the 15M), and using a lambda? I know many have turned off their lambda on the 15RC's (I did it for a while on my V7 Classic), but MPG dropped from about 50 MPG to the low 40's. I didn't notice a huge difference in how the bike ran when I rode it with the lambda off.

I'm not really sure how the lambda changes the fuel on the 15RC's, but has anybody figured out how to change what it does in Guzzidiag? That seems like it would be a decent way to change how rich or lean it runs through the RPM's. I imagine it may be similar to what a FatDuc does...

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

On a somewhat related topic, I thought I read somewhere the difference between the 15M and 15RC is the lambda sensor. My 2004 Cafe Sport has a plug in for the lambda sensor. What would the benefits/disadvantages be of installing a 15RC ECU in my V11 (has the 15M), and using a lambda? I know many have turned off their lambda on the 15RC's (I did it for a while on my V7 Classic), but MPG dropped from about 50 MPG to the low 40's. I didn't notice a huge difference in how the bike ran when I rode it with the lambda off.

I'm not really sure how the lambda changes the fuel on the 15RC's, but has anybody figured out how to change what it does in Guzzidiag? That seems like it would be a decent way to change how rich or lean it runs through the RPM's. I imagine it may be similar to what a FatDuc does...

Ken

Thats one of he things that would be nice to know. But how the lambda regulation works and where the knobs are to adjust that is unclear.  The lambda is used only to pass euro norm, not to make the bike run better. 

For that  a wideband lambda is needed.

When I got my Titanium kit the ecu was from a different model but had a yellow mark applied across the label. When researching this I was told they just re flashed other ecu 's with the Titanium map. It certainly worked much better than stock.

Can anyone "read" the differences in the Titanium map?

I looked at the differences, and the TI map is very rich...even too rich for my stucchi xover, mistral exhaust, stock paper filter and dropping CO to -30 from -10. My AFR gauge has been a very valuable tool for monitoring and building different maps.

Ken