New v11 Lemans - fly and ride

Kingofgix

Hi all,

I have just purchased a new to me 2002 Lemans and will be heading to Minneapolis next week to pick her up and ride back to CO. I have been searching through the forum for tips and am putting together a travel kit including shift spring, relay and fuses. However, I have a few basic questions that I don't know the answer to:

(Oil thread alert) I have read about the low oil pressure on acceleration issue, and that a potential solution is to use 4 liters of oil vs. 3.5. Three questions 1) is 4 liters a good idea, 2) how do you measure to see that 4 liters are in the sump (I.e. What do I look for on the dipstick to verify this quantity as I assume it is somewhat more than full), and what type of oil do these things like?

How big is the fuel tank, and what range should I expect on the highway?

I have read about the hiccup and the different valve settings, but I didn't see the definitive recommended settings. .006/.008?

Thanks for your help!

I still might be able to assist you from the airport..

no do not add any extra oil. that idea is daft. it will all get blown into the brether.

the solution is a Roper plate, it's a windage tray that sits atop the sump pan.. keeps the oil from all going to back of pan on hard acceleration up hill.. don't thrash your bike and all will be good. keep the oil 1/2 way between the marks on the dip stick.

5.8 gallons or so..depending on tune and speed about 180 miles is the max range. mine gave about 42mpg most of the time, less going 90 all day.

Contact the seller and ask him to tell you about the repair  history and let him know you want to be happy with your purchase . You want him to be frank w/you and tell you about any concerns or needs this bike will have.  If you are not familiar w/clip-ons your arms and hands will get extremely tired !

Keep us posted on your road trip w/plenty of pics .  I hope any members on your route will be available if you need them .

Congrats on your purchase. I am using a 10w-40  m/c specific oil in mine but will soon be changing to another motorcycle specific10w-50 synthetic soon. The low pressure oil light issue on acceleration does not affect everyone, I wouldn't put any extra in myself. I have always zeroed my tripmeter when refuelling and gone to about 150 miles before filling up again. never had a low fuel light from new and never bothered about it. Quantity about 5 and a half of your gallons.

6 and 8 thou sounds about right for the valve clearances from memory.

Rob

Congratulations. I rode in the Rockies recently on a rented BMW. I was itching for my Guzzi. Have fun with it up there.

I was curious about a travel kit too - this thread has lots of good ideas:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18860

Oil level - heaps of opinions on this. I've been using a gallon of oil. Basically, the dipstick is a "X" shape in cross-section, it has two rings at low and full levels. I think a lot of people keep the oil a little above the full mark. Seems there is some variation in production, so some people calibrate their dipsticks when they have the pan off.  +1 on the Roper plate. 

Fuel tank is over 5 gallons (as noted above), about 4.5 of which are usable (due to shape of tank). I agree that easy highway running should get you close to 40mpg (I tried that once... zzzz...). Gas every 150 miles (again assuming not too much stop and go) is safe and easy to remember. The low-fuel warning light helps...

Definitive recommended settings? There are several different definitive recommended settings.  :grin:  I'm running .007 Intake and .010 Exhaust.

I still might be able to assist you from the airport..

no do not add any extra oil. that idea is daft. it will all get blown into the brether.

the solution is a Roper plate, it's a windage tray that sits atop the sump pan.. keeps the oil from all going to back of pan on hard acceleration up hill.. don't thrash your bike and all will be good. keep the oil 1/2 way between the marks on the dip stick.

5.8 gallons or so..depending on tune and speed about 180 miles is the max range. mine gave about 42mpg most of the time, less going 90 all day.

Well, I really appreciate the offer and would love to meet you and have a chance to talk Guzzis and bikes in general. So, I arrive in Minn/St. Paul airport on Friday Aug. 7 at 11:10. I need to get to Willmar. There is a shuttle that will get me there by 3:30 for $65. I can pay you instead and am sure the company and service will be better! If you would like to do that I am all in, but I have the option of the shuttle so it is up to you. I REALLY appreciate the offer of assistance regardless. You can decide, but please don't inconvenience yourself.

There is something really special about 'fly-and-ride' - the process becomes a real adventure. 

I would carry some extra fuses, particularly the 30A main charging fuse.  And carry a small multi-meter.  Just in case!  

They say you don't need to be an electrician to have a Moto Guzzi - BUT IT HELPS.   

There is a wealth of very useful information on this forum including all service procedures, and especially, electrical issues and how to fix them, or even better, how to prevent them. 

Good luck and have FUN riding back to MN.    

Stuart

What a cool plan!

Good posts above on your questions (you may think of  a few others between now and the 7th!)

I suppose if I were to take an unknown-quantity V11 for a long ride, I'd tighten the battery terminals and press in a pocket full (5) of 5-pin OMRON relays before getting on . . .

Oil level - heaps of opinions on this

This is true. Here in Europe the Roper plates are not so frequently used, I assume. I might install one some day. I'v got the picture that here people tend to fill 4 liters and that's it. I have used 4 liters for years (just fill in and forget it) and have never had excess oil in the air box.

PS.

On V11 the dipstick is turned fully in when checking the oil, for some reason on the last generation Cali 1100 from 2006 on not anymore.

Oil level - heaps of opinions on this

PS.

On V11 the dipstick is turned fully in when checking the oil, for some reason on the last generation Cali 1100 from 2006 on not anymore.

As the manual says, "Screw it up" which has a rather different meaning in American English!  ;)

Don't rely on the fuel level light working, many of those have been burnt out by owners switching the plugs around, as someone said top up every 150 miles miles or so. Once you get her home you can test the light.

Often the oil pressure switches don't work, if in doubt just keep the level near the full mark and you won't have an issue with loss of pressure under acceleration.

Enjoy your trip

Thank again everyone, and keep the newbie advice coming. I bought a shift spring from MGCycle and added 1 relay to get the purchase over the $10 minimum. But it sounds like 1 relay isn't enough? How many relays are there and how often do they fail? Sheesh, I have never replaced a relay in my life and it sounds like it's a daily even on these bikes!

Kiwi Roy, thanks for your PM.

There are 5 relays. Apparently, they are one of a few known weak points. Upgrading all 5 right away just saves you from future worry. See Docc's post above for a link to order them. $25 and 5 minutes of labor - then you'll probably never have to think about them again.

Will you be taking the scenic route?

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 8.06.54 PM.jpg