oil pressure light on

motrhead

• 7 months later...

At long last and a couple more bikes later, I dropped the pan, and found the filter loose, as installed by the dealer. Easy fix...nothing serious in the pan, as it barely ran after the light came on. So I will try to find a suitable oil and ride it (with the hose clamp on the filter!).

Alternate tightening method:

Once the (lubricated) filter gasket makes contact, turn an additional 1 and 1/8 (one full plus one-eighth) turns.

If you are on the road and you have an oil light come on you can crack the fitting to one of the cylinder heads.

Start the bike and oil pisses out you know you have good pressure.

I have 4 Guzzis, I don't think I have a reliable switch on any of them, the last replacement I bought didn't last a month.

They try to jamb a switch into too small a package, the active element doesn't move far enough to operate a decent switch.

Get a gauge 0 - 100 psi and never wonder again.

I have mine mounted on the steering damper bracket so it doesn't need flexible tubing.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

i have the oil pressure red light on after i started it today after the winter.I didn’t drive it yet.What would you guys suggest should be the things i should do before i consider it is an issue.It didn’t come on last year.Now it stays red.please guide and its a moto guzzi v7 2014- stone.

29 minutes ago, Harman said:

Hi guys,

i have the oil pressure red light on after i started it today after the winter.I didn’t drive it yet.What would you guys suggest should be the things i should do before i consider it is an issue.It didn’t come on last year.Now it stays red.please guide and its a moto guzzi v7 2014- stone.

How long was it on for?

Ciao

First, take off the valve cover and run the engine, if no oil stop right away.  It should be gushing out.  That means it's not the sender but it's oil pressure. 

Next, check your oil filter.  It probably came off.  (I have no idea about V7)

After that better call Saul.

First , remove the oil pressure switch , cover the hole with a rag , crank it up to see if oil shoots out .  if not , remove the oil filter cover to see if the filter is on and on correctly . If you did get a spray of oil , it is probably an oil pressure sender . This does happen . Simply replace it .

You may as well just change out the switch anyway as they dont cost much and be done with it. If the light still stays on then go looking for the issue. I asked about the time the light was on just in case you fired it up and only ran it for 4 or 5 seconds and shut it down. Its a slight possibility after sitting for a long time the pump lost its prime. Running it at low rpm for 10 or 15 seconds wont cause it damage and may be whats needed if its lost prime.

Ciao

On 9/1/2015 at 12:18 PM, danl said:

It is true, I have committed a cardinal sin of motoring - disregarding the oil light!  One piece of info I left out was that I had been riding in heavy rain for a while and suspected (hoped) that these two were related.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone make the assumption that an oil light is is due to a bad switch.  I took a huge risk, and was relieved that it worked out the way it did.

Combination of heavy rain and dirt or road salt is enough to make the switch track across the insulator, try wiping it with a rag.

WD40 is good for this as well.