Hey all!

I will need to remove the engine of my 2003 V11 Sport to get the crankshaft out. The bearings went out in one of the connecting rods, and it marred the crank pretty badly.

I know it won't be an easy task, but I plan to do the work myself.

Could anyone tell me what special tools I will need for the engine removal, and all the way down to the the crankshaft? I have a pretty good idea of what I will need, but I would feel more comfortable hearing from someone that has already gone through this process.

Thanks in advance!

v11 crankshaft.jpg

I don't know, what I do know is the bearing flanges don't slip off easily.. I have a nice condition Crank shaft in an EV1100 motor, you can have it if I could get it free of the block. I think it's the same crank..

just so you know the forum at

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

might be worth consulting.

• Like 1

I don't know, what I do know is the bearing flanges don't slip off easily.. I have a nice condition Crank shaft in an EV1100 motor, you can have it if I could get it free of the block. I think it's the same crank..

just so you know the forum at

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

might be worth consulting.

Thanks for the response! It's helping to prove my theory that Guzzi enthusiasts are some of the nicest folks around!

I've been in contact with Rick from MG Cycle. He said that the tool in the link below is great for getting the bearing flanges out.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80&products_id=334

I'm planning on ordering one, soon.

Is it safe to assume that you have already downloaded the shop manual and parts diagrams? If not, I think you'd find those to be invaluable resources.

• Like 1

A 3/4 drive socket too loosen the nut holding the timing chain sprocket 43mm I think, extend it with a 1/2" drive socket or grind flats and turn it with a pipe wrench.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume that you have already downloaded the shop manual and parts diagrams? If not, I think you'd find those to be invaluable resources.

dig in to thisoldtractor.com find greg benders Moto Guzzi site and you can find the manuals..
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, I've been reading and rereading the shop manual over and over. I got it printed out and bound so that I won't need my laptop next to me while I do the work.

I've also been getting into Dave Richardson's "Guzziology."

This will be the 5th engine I've worked on, but the first Guzzi, so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Oh if you need the 32mm deep socket for the front crank nut I will send to you and you send back when your done with the job.

Is this one deep enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-International-2832-Impact-Socket/dp/B000TD8P3M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441817447&sr=8-5&keywords=32mm+deep+socket

Or should I go for a 3/4" drive?

Thanks for the offer of letting me borrow, but I'd be too scared that it would get lost in the mail, or something like that.

The 3/4 drive is just a regular socket, it slips right over the shaft, grind a couple of flats on it and turn with a 12" crescent or pipe wrench. I wrapped some masking tape around the shaft where the 3/4 square sits.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

Since you will be removing the gear box just make a simple strap from a starter mounting bolt to one of the clutch bolts to hold the shaft while you undo the nut.

Replace the timing chain tensioner with a blade type.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

Since you will be removing the gear box just make a simple strap from a starter mounting bolt to one of the clutch bolts to hold the shaft while you undo the nut.

Replace the timing chain tensioner with a blade type.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Is this the type of tensioner you mean:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=347

I'm excited to get to work on this!

I just have to finish up the old Honda I am rebuilding for a friend, so I can clear up some space in my garage.

Thanks for all of the help, so far, everyone. I'm sure that I'll be back, picking your brains during the process, as well. Hopefully, within the next few weeks!