Brand new Guzzi owner... please chime in !

Cobra23

Well I am reading and learning as fast as I can.

The battery is also weak, so this week it gets a new battery and a set of tires. I am not even going to ask about tires, they are like oil, everybody has there favorite, I have mine. I do believe that 60 weight would make the bike sluggish to turn over when its cooler outside, so I will be switching to a lighter oil. I use Motul in the Ducati..so the Guzzi gets Motul. WHY? ... well it is expensive and its green color is cool. Yup I'm all about the color.... its gotta be a cool color !

Tires, will be Michelin Pilot Power 2ct..why? same tires as my Ducati = same "feel". 

You guys are entertaining for sure. I got the bike plated Monday. New tires are a thing for me, as I don't like riding on tires I don't have confidence in. Hope to get a ride in soon, and Tioga pass is not far from here.

I just don't get tired of looking at the bike, can't wait to log some 600 mile days in on it.

The Odyssey PC545 seems to be the popular battery choice.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc545-battery.html?Category_Code=moto-guzzi-v11-lemans-sport-battery

If you have weak cranking on startup I would be absolutely sure to check the main ground strap. Should be behind the seat lock on the right side. Clean both mating surfaces and keep it sealed with Vaseline or such. Very important! Trust me....

If it were me I would check battery voltages too: before start up should be around 12.65+ at idle 13+ and over 3k close to or a little over 14.

Congrats btw you are not the only one who stares at there bike when unable to ride, usually I accompany with making motorcycle noises too. It really adds to the experience.... Enjoy!

welcome to the board.

The Guzzi shifting is a bit balkier than your other bikes.  Blip the throttle.  It's actually smoother than the Guzzi 5 speed but that is all some of the "Guzzi Feel".  They do handle really well for something that's big lump to push around the garage.  

Czakky,

If the main ground is behind the seat release lock (mine was) move it to one of the adjacent gearbox bolts. I know of several V11s that almost went up in smoke. If the main ground works loose the starter current will find its way back to the battery through the factory regulator ground. The starter will turn over weakly but worst of all the ground wire can get red hot melting through and shorting to ground other wires in the loom.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Czakky,

If the main ground is behind the seat release lock (mine was) move it to one of the adjacent gearbox bolts. I know of several V11s that almost went up in smoke. If the main ground works loose the starter current will find its way back to the battery through the factory regulator ground. The starter will turn over weakly but worst of all the ground wire can get red hot melting through and shorting to ground other wires in the loom.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Yep. everything but the shoe phone. But back to the original complaint. My 02 does not like to downshift more than 1 gear at time.Clutch, throttle matching... nope.. It just doesn't like it. Same with my 70 Guzzi. My other 4 motorcycles (all Japanese brands) no issue, even the ones with no slipper clutch. But out of 6 motorcycles and countless others I get to ride the Guzzi's still get the biggest grin out of me. Welcome to the club. Just remember it is different, you may have to re-learn a few riding habits to adjust.  

This advice is for all readers.... Make sure you use shakeproof washers on ALL ground wires / cables PERIOD . If you don't know what they are GOOGLE them and start using them . First and foremost place the ground wire at the starter mounting bolt or as close as possible to the starter. Then you want to link ( if possible ) all grounds together.

To compliment emry's post . You were made for Moto Guzzi , it was not made for you .

• Like 1

Next question for the Guzzi Phd's:

Why are the positive and negative terminals on the V11 battery pointed forward, and down. In other words the battery "top" is lower than the battery bottom, as the battery is titled in its tray. The Ducati has same arrangement, tilted at about 25 degrees from horizontal, but the lid or top of the battery is higher than the bottom.

This make me queasy, its a gel battery, but seems like under less than normal situation the battery may oose something out of the lid if its pointed downhill. 

I have spent two nights just looking for a factory photo, and have been unable to verify if this is the correct position or not. It seems like the positive and negative leads of the battery should be oriented to the rear so they are up.

I would really appreciate a photo of the stock orientation. Maybe it is supposed to be upside down, or perhaps a previous owner installed this battery upsidee down.

I believe this photo shows the battery in the stock orientation. However, some other stuff is not stock - like the shock reservoir stuffed in the side of the tail piece. It's kind of a pain to get at the terminals in that position. I think these batteries can work in any orientation.

IMG_2982.jpg

BTW - see those 5 stock relays in the lower left?  They've all been replaced with 5-pin OMRON relays for peace of mind. You might consider doing that too.

• Like 1

Got the battery in, and checked the charging system, everything looks good. I also checked the ground wire that is near the seat lock, the previous owner had already moved it to the transmission bolt.

When you cold start it what is the best technique. My Ducati is also a giant twin (996) it turns over quite a few times before firing when it has been sitting for a week. The Guzzi seems to take a little longer to fire.When I picked it up the previous owner said to let it crank until it fires as I was hitting the starter two or three times. 

So !  

Do I just hold the starter button in until it fires? Seems like that would heat up the starter motor. he Altitude here is 4500 ft.  I can't figure out if it really needs the cold start or not (choke / high idle lever ).

I think it was on this forum that someone mentioned flicking the ignition on/off a couple of times to engage the fuel pump twice for added benefit??  Dunno...

I always use the fast idle from cold and let her jiggle at about 2k for half a minute or so to wake her up.

Also, mine was starting very grumpily at first till I realised the throttle twist I was giving her on start-up was counter productive.

Took me a good month or two to get to know her!  Now we're in love.

Today I attempt to replace the head races so I expect possible strain on our relationship.

My own opinion on this is....

I don't run the starter motor for more than 5 or 6 seconds. If it doesn't start in that amount of time let it sit for 10 seconds or so and try again.

It can't hurt to use the fast idle, even if it is not cold, so you don't need to worry about it hurting anything. If you think it might need it go ahead and use it. If you know the bike is warm and will start without it skip it. All it does is crack the throttle open slightly. It does not add any extra fuel other than what would get added if you crack the throttle open slightly. If you can comfortably touch the heads than the motor is cold and the fast idle will usually help. It is not so much about air temp as motor temp. But, see the last for final say.

Listen to the bike. It will tell you what it likes. As each bike is slightly different as far as tuning goes you will find that what works best on one Guzzi may or may not work well on another. Just pay attention to what works.