North Carolina Guzzi Riders

I've checked out the forum "Member Map" and it seems that we only have a few members in North Carolina :( 

That is one downside of moving from NorCal where we had a pretty active MG community.

Does anyone know if there is a group of MG owners in NC that socialize, go on rides, etc?

I am located in Sanford, which is essentially dead center in the state, just about 50 miles south west of Raleigh.

My bike has been mothballed for a while, but have plans to resurrect it this Winter.  So I thought I'd ask around to see who is in the vicinity  :bike:

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I just relocated to Asheville.

No bike yet as, the Tenni remains in Italy.

Hope to have a bike by springtime.

How cool is that! Welcome to The States, Orson! Ashville is a great spot for curvy motorcycle roads (and craft beer)!

I would say you're in striking distance to a South'n Spine Raid, but for some inexplicable reason no one from North Carolina has ever made it in the eleven years.  :ph34r: 

I'll keep the Tenni in Italy.

Would love to get another Guzzi, if they made a sport tourer like the V11. Not sure if I want a Norge...I'm leaning towards the new Beemer RS boxer as much as I hate the whole BMW rider stereotype. Or maybe the new Honda VFR 800.

"I'll keep the Tenni in Italy"    ....what a cool thing to be able to say

to heck with the stereotypes, if you get the beamer, just don't get a matching helmet :)

I had a R11S and loved it. It was the Guzzi personality that spoke to me. The R11 was just too sanitary.

and welcome to the colonies!

"I'll keep the Tenni in Italy"    ....what a cool thing to be able to say

to heck with the stereotypes, if you get the beamer, just don't get a matching helmet :)

I had a R11S and loved it. It was the Guzzi personality that spoke to me. The R11 was just too sanitary.

and welcome to the colonies!

+1 almost exactly. I'd just have to change the R1100S to R1100RT.

@ Orson: Is a state-side V11 out of the question? There have been some nice ones for sale recently. Some with hard luggage included.

Orson: Is a state-side V11 out of the question? There have been some nice ones for sale recently. Some with hard luggage included.[/size]

I wouldn't mind a low mileage V11. I would use it mostly for touring so, wouldn't want to worry about an old one wearing out.

I wouldn't mind a low mileage V11. I would use it mostly for touring so, wouldn't want to worry about an old one wearing out.

OMG :o , the old ones wear out? :wacko:

Good point! After 90,000 km, my Tenni seems to run as good as the day I bought it.

Orson, that's a lot of km's. would you mind sharing any issues/fails you've had with the bike? any clutch/flywheel work? leaks, broken bits, or replacements? thanks

Orson, that's a lot of km's. would you mind sharing any issues/fails you've had with the bike? any clutch/flywheel work? leaks, broken bits, or replacements? thanks

Just off the top of my head, I had the foggy tachometer but, mysteriously, that seems to have gone away.

I had the oil leak from the timing chain cover...fixed.

At about 20,000 km, the front disc brake rotors were replaced due to warping. Haven't had any problems since.

I've had rear wheel bearings fail 3 times although, I think the last set have made it over 20,000 km.

I had to replace the starter motor twice.

I replaced a cracked manifold boot.

I also had relay gremlins but, seems to be sorted.

The engine paint is starting to bubble but, it's not readily noticeable.

Still have the original clutch but, will probably change it soon.

I should give credit where credit is due. Moto Guareschi in Parma does all the work, I just show up to ride the thing when I get vacation time!

That seems a reasonable amount of maintenance. I'll be happy to say that at 56k miles. 3 starters seems a bit harsh, but I'll take that over other problems. The rear wheel bearings have been addressed here, as I'm sure you are aware. I'm inclined to just check mine every tire change and replace. I don't know what to make of the rotors. You probably got the shift pawl/spring upgrade as a recall at Moto Guareschi.

Now, the clutch..... that is exciting, and encouraging. If you do change it out, do let us know the condition of the disc and flywheel. Curious minds, you know!

my paint started bubbling at 1000 mi. and finished by 3000.

broken dash mount.

some crusty dash bits replaced

speedo cable and drive broken

various leaks, some fixed

it's done under 12000 mi.