Gone Guzzi

guzzigary

• 3 months later...

Hey all,looking at a 2004 Lemans,black/grey bone stock(soft bags) 17K quite a clean bike.On the left side of gas tank right where your knee would be there is some paint lifting(dime size).Anyone seen this before?Rubber knee pads (V7) would cover it but....any thoughts? Thanks

I've seen some posts about letting the tank sit empty - and that they un-swell a a bit. Maybe that, followed by a a tank sealant and some knee pads if it doesn't go away. If that flaw was factored into the price, and you like the bike, it might still make sense for you. It seems the LeMans is just as rare (if not more rare) than some of the special editions - don't see many black ones.

Right: "drying out" the tank and strictly avoiding ethanol fuels will restore the tank shape (and likely draw the paint bubble back in close), but will not re-adhere the paint, so that spot will always be fragile.

If it's priced right, just buy it.  The 2003 + have in-tank pump.  Solves issues like vapor lock.    Might drain tank better also?  (Not sure about this, someone else might know.)    I'm talking about "leaving" petrol (stranded) on the right side of the tank, where the Reg. passes returned fuel to right side, but outlet port on earlier years is on left side of tank...    ... essentially, it's a suction line that leads to the FI pump.

I wonder what the cagers think when they see me flailing my bike viciously, right to left.  Maybe they think I'm horned up on my Goose?  ;-)

Bike is at well respected local dealer in Chilliwack(formerly Valley Moto) Trade in on a new Norge. PO says flaw in paint there since he purchased it in 2006.New back tire, near new front. Full service