A good tank bag (and tail bag) solution

JBBenson

I have been looking for a good solution for panniers, or saddle bags, a tank bag, or a combination that fit and worked. I searched around, tried a few and returned most of them. Here's what I came up with:

Chase Harper 1360BLK SR3 tank bag:

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

It works with my SW-Motech Cargobag pictured here:

IMG_1346.jpg

I like the free form designs of both. I never liked the hard cases on the V11, I think they look too big and too "BMW"....soft panniers never seemed to fit right either......and the tank bag issue for the V11 was always a problem. I tried a few tank bags, including the SW-Motech, but it was too weird; the funny locking ring, the way it floats above the tank, the too-small or too-big size choices. Nah.

looks good. I don't like the big hard bags either, tho they do have advantages. I went with a Watershed dry bag on the rear rack.  So, what bar end weights are those?

http://www.manicsalamander.com/products/details-of-weights.aspx

(This site doesn't work with Safari)

I got the classic bar end weights as I am using Woodcraft clip ons. I got some cheap Chinese bar-end mirrors and put the spacer between the weight and the handlebar and clamped the mirror onto it. I did get the "outboard" mirror adapter, but they put the mirrors way too far out. 

Nice looking setup. I just use a backpack for my short commute. But I have a Giant Loop saddlebag for when I want to carry more stuff. I left all my gear (except helmet) in the bag at the airport earlier this week. 

The bag doesn't win me any style points, but it goes on and off easily, it's sturdy and waterproof - and it will work on almost any bike.

IMG_2988.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with Jofama tail bags? They look ok, but looks can deceive...........

I wanted one, but it was difficult to find a vendor that not only had them in stock, but was willing to ship to the US.

The Jofama comes in 42L and 52L. For comparison, my SW-Motech tabling is approx. 50L. I have heard the Jofama is a nice bag too.

ahhhh... I plan on keeping the stock clipons, as they have a built-in anti vibe that works well. I just want a heavier/prettier end weight. Throttlemeister says i can't incorporate their system with the MG stock set up.

footgoose I have the manics on my bike with stock bars no problem

ahhhh... I plan on keeping the stock clipons, as they have a built-in anti vibe that works well. I just want a heavier/prettier end weight. Throttlemeister says i can't incorporate their system with the MG stock set up.

Odd, I have Throttlemeister "heavy" units on my 02 LeMans, however I did buy them over 10 years ago so maybe they no longer make a model that fits? :huh2:     I also filled my bars with lead shot and silicone  :grin:

Odd, I have Throttlemeister "heavy" units on my 02 LeMans, however I did buy them over 10 years ago so maybe they no longer make a model that fits? :huh2:     I also filled my bars with lead shot and silicone  :grin:

The told me they would work, but I must remove the stock internal bar and other bits, and their unit attaches in place of that.  I still may do that. I can use the weights without the throttle lock on the oem set up, but I guess I want it ALL. I was impressed with the way MG did those bars. Don't want to lose it, just maybe make it a bit better. It's just possible I'm over thinking it. Does yours utilize the throttle lock? Do you remember the code/ designation/ or number for your TMeister set? (ha, I'm really pushin it)

The stock set-up is better to control vibrations. I only used the Manic ones because I installed aftermarket bars in order to clear the fairing.

I can tell you the Manic Salamander weights won't work well with the stock bars, as they are slightly larger ID than standard 5/8" ID bars. One could machine down the stock bar weights to fit into 5/8". I almost did this. But the way they thread into the stock bars cannot be duplicated. So another problem to solve.

Thats how I ended up using aftermarket bars and Manic Salamander bar-end weights. I think there are other throttle lock mechanisms out there, if that's a feature you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

The told me they would work, but I must remove the stock internal bar and other bits, and their unit attaches in place of that.  I still may do that. I can use the weights without the throttle lock on the oem set up, but I guess I want it ALL. I was impressed with the way MG did those bars. Don't want to lose it, just maybe make it a bit better. It's just possible I'm over thinking it. Does yours utilize the throttle lock? Do you remember the code/ designation/ or number for your TMeister set? (ha, I'm really pushin it)

Ahhh, you are kick-starting my memory banks :rolleyes:   .... that's probably why I put lead shot and silicone in the bars because I had to lose the MG bar dampers, which I totally forgot about!   :homer:   Also the Throttlemeister inserts are about half as long as the original MG bar inserts, and heavier.  So I don't think you lose anything in vibe damping really because the TMs are so heavy.

Here are a few threads that cover the topic:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1976&hl=throttlemeister&do=findComment&comment=17180

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51&hl=throttlemeister

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164&hl=throttlemeister

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2608&hl=throttlemeister