aria! stock air box

docc

I certainly have made these inlet tracts "smoother" and more "polished," but likely didn't open them enough to make a maximal difference. This weekend's ride should reveal any impressions.

This has to be the best forum thread I have read in an eon. This is really the way forum's should operate. Everyone admits to drinking and impaired judgment (not that this is the case here... just in forums in general. But at least here we are honest about the booze!) and then sitting down to work on a motorcycle. Awesome, simply awesome.

Good taste in beer too! I'm going to have another martini and then go finish framing in a bathroom addition. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This has to be the best forum thread I have read in an eon. This is really the way forum's should operate. Everyone admits to drinking and impaired judgment (not that this is the case here... just in forums in general. But at least here we are honest about the booze!) and then sitting down to work on a motorcycle. Awesome, simply awesome.

Good taste in beer too! I'm going to have another martini and then go finish framing in a bathroom addition. Cheers!

I am anxious to hear how mixing vermouth and carpentry sheds more light on Bernoulli's Principle! :grin:

@ Gio - I just cannot bring myself to make those holes! I am going to study up on NACA ducting, but will likely leave the lid sealed.

@JBB - The three cables cost me about $75US: 1) Caspers TPS breakout harness to set the baseline TPS with a voltmeter; 2) FTDI chipped OBD to USB like this one from ECS Tuning; 3) FIAT/Lancia 3 pin to ODB adapter cable.

So, looking at these, you go:

V11 Sport ECU 3 Pin (female) > 3 Pin (male) to 16 Pin OBD2 (male pins) > OBD2 (female pins) to USB (male) Diagnostic Cable > Laptop USB (female)

Cool, thanks....

Docc - my understanding is that Bernoulli's theorem is based on experiments with horizontal piping ...alas, may I suggest ingestion of the contents of your form-makers in vertical mode, at least initially ...

• Haha 1

Docc - my understanding is that Bernoulli's theorem is based on experiments with horizontal piping ...alas, may I suggest ingestion of the contents of your form-makers in vertical mode, at least initially ...

It occurs to that emptying the contents of the glass mandrels involved a bit of Bernoulli's Principle as well   . . .

Once things become horizontal, all bets are off! :drink:

Au contraire my friend ... once things become horizontal ... all bets are on! As proof of this ask anyone who has woken up with less than one eyebrow.

Cheers - and may the air flow faster (or at least with less flatulence) in your snorkels!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So . . . I could not be more jazzed!! :sun:

Immediately, the sound change is so apparent. While the motor does definitely "spin up" *easier*, the tonal sonority is so different, so enticing. It's as though the harmonic resonance of the intake has found the exhaust note of the Mistrals! Throughout the rev range it is obvious, but 5,000 to 7,000 is just addictive. My fuel economy is going to go to crap cause I keep slowing down to row the gears again and again! The resonance is fabulous. :thumbsup:

Curiously, the idle did drop maybe three hundred rpm (I like my idle on the high side, around 1400-1500). (I was only reading this from the Veglia, not Guzzidiag.) Rather than just bump the idle, I checked the throttle body synchronization and found it off ~20-25mm Hg at 3,000 rpm (that's a lot). Bringing the linkage into synch and adjusting the air bypass screws to balance the idle smoothed it all out and the idle came up a bit.

I feel like I'm riding with the Tower of Power Horns!

• Like 2

Immediately, the sound change is so apparent. While the motor does definitely "spin up" *easier*, the tonal sonority is so different, so enticing. It's as though the harmonic resonance of the intake has found the exhaust note of the Mistrals! Throughout the rev range it is obvious, but 5,000 to 7,000 is just addictive. My fuel economy is going to go to crap cause I keep slowing down to row the gears again and again! The resonance is fabulous. :thumbsup:

It sounds as though all that "research" to find the appropriate mandrels has really payed off. Maybe you should pour yourself another.  :bier:

• Thanks 1

It sounds as though all that "research" to find the appropriate mandrels has really payed off. Maybe you should pour yourself another.  :bier:

If you insist!

Here's to a seductive aria!! :drink:

Just in from almost 1.000 km  (562 miles) of hilly backroads to attend the Barber Vintage Festival. The change to the Sport is delightful! I feel really lucky it worked out so well.

The *tone* reminds me of resetting the intonation and (string) action on my bass guitar - so much easier and enjoyable to ride (play) and such a nice, harmonic *ring* on the throttle. I don't think anyone else could hear the difference, but with the bell mouths right below my ears, the change in tone is just lovely.

I realize that the only "quantification" has been the change in idle speed and throttle body synchronization (and, perhaps, fuel economy - one more fill-up to gather final data), but having turned over 97,000 miles /157.000 km on this trip (while topping the ton at that moment B) ), my empirical impression is exceptionally positive. :thumbsup:

I am one to say the Spine Frame airbox can be a lovely piece of kit!

V11airbox.jpg

• 4 months later...

Having not gotten to ride much the last few months, the Sport surprised me the other day on a little spirited jaunt through the hills (I was thinking of the SoCal guys and their amazing climbs just off the coast . . . )

I had, frankly, forgotten about the airbox bellmouth modification, but the lovely tone and acoustic sonority immediately reminded me! :food:

It occurred to me that this primary *glass mandrel* provided the elusive answer to the desire to change the stock airbox . . .

The stock airbox is obviously just too yang and needs a good dose of yin for proper balance in the universe. And I thought it was all about science and Bernouli and such . . .  :nerd:

DSCN4629.jpg

That it comes form "Evil Twin" makes it ever-so-much-more right! :mg:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello!:bier:

I did not quite understand, if it is worth upgrading the Airbox using a standard paper air filter?

And can anyone show the Airbox images after upgrading (with holes in the lid) ?

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2016 at 5:50 PM, docc said:

Having not gotten to ride much the last few months, the Sport surprised me the other day on a little spirited jaunt through the hills (I was thinking of the SoCal guys and their amazing climbs just off the coast . . . )

I had, frankly, forgotten about the airbox bellmouth modification, but the lovely tone and acoustic sonority immediately reminded me! :food:

It occurred to me that this primary *glass mandrel* provided the elusive answer to the desire to change the stock airbox . . .

The stock airbox is obviously just too yang and needs a good dose of yin for proper balance in the universe. And I thought it was all about science and Bernouli and such . . .  :nerd:

DSCN4629.jpg

That it comes form "Evil Twin" makes it ever-so-much-more right! :mg:

Any further conclusions here? I've been running an open BMC filter, and want to get it covered up.. but not "stock". I'm stoked to do this mod.. bigger - better??