Go_Winkie!

docc

I've been looking into installing one of these troubleshooting lights on a 2004 V11 Lemans and on mine the fuse number 8 is a spare 15 amp fuse.  No power to either side clip with fuse removed and both ignition, run switches on.  Just wanted to pass that info on.  Now need to decide which other fuse to wire the indicator light to.

• Like 1

DosLeMans,

Thanks for the heads up on fuse 8, I often wondered.

Some guys don't want to mess with the loom, I understand the reluctance so I came up with a different approach.

If you look back a page I show how you can make a relay with the Go Winkie light piggybacked on to it.

The particular lamp I chose works on AC (or any polarity DC), this will work in every slot.

Slot 4 is the ECU relay if I remember correctly.

If you use just a regular LED in series with a resistor, make sure you get the polarity right and it won't work in every slot because some slots have the polarity reversed,

The resistor should be 1K Ohm to 2.2K

A bare LED will have 1 lead a little longer than the other, that's Positive

On my VII I had a light on every relay but connected 87 to chassis.

I think its better to monitor the signal to the coil in this case because it may show as a flickering fault before it's so bad the relay drops out.

It's not essential to solder the wires to the relay pins.

I see my local shop has fuses with an LED that glows if the fuse fails. Anyone tried these?

I suppose the thing the fuse is protecting has to still sink a current to light the LED.

Yes, but it only needs a few milliamps, the smallest load on the VII would be an idiot light at about 100 mA.

On my Eldorado I have a light if any fuse blows.

You could use a blown fuse like that as a Go winkie in fuse 8 slot especially if it had an electric petcock removed just by shorting out the petcock connector.