Go_Winkie!

docc

Scud,    :rasta:

F-E-A-T..........Let's hear it for Little Feat.

Yeah. Under=appreciated band.  Did you notice Docc's Little Feat CD in his picture prior to my post?

Tomato Lady

Saw 'em with Lowell George in 1978.  A few times after that.  We lost Ritchie last year.

From top to bottom, songwriting and chops, best band ever.  

Tomato Lady

Saw 'em with Lowell George in 1978.  A few times after that.  We lost Ritchie last year.

From top to bottom, songwriting and chops, best band ever.  

+1 . . . I must have seen them on that same tour in '78 in a "small" arena in St. Pete, FL. I figure they left it with   " . . .  serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members . . .  "

The LED thing did not work out for me, so I tinted an 18v "grain-of-wheat" bulb with blue VHT paint.

You cannot use an LED by itself on 12 Volts, you need a resistor in series, 1k is about right.

The long lead on the LED is Positive.

The LED thing did not work out for me, so I tinted an 18v "grain-of-wheat" bulb with blue VHT paint.

You cannot use an LED by itself on 12 Volts, you need a resistor in series, 1k is about right.

The long lead on the LED is Positive.

I never even noticed the longer lead. Thanks, Roy!

So, I thought I just got the wrong LED kit (3v). No such thing as 12v LEDs?

No - the 12Volt lamps have a resistor built in. A typical small LED like you have draws a max if 15 mA, a 1k resistor will give you about 10 mA, plenty bright enough.

Sent from my shoe phone!

I'll probably rebuild my Go_Winkie next "Tank-off" with the LED and a resistor.

I haven't ridden it yet to see how visible it is - maybe it's fine the way it is ( I was hoping for *green*, though . . .)

If the location and visibility are good, I'll pull the fuse and only activate that circuit if the Sport develops an intermittent fault while running at rpm. Easy, then, to pop in the fuse and the Go_Winkie is on the job!

Should I be concerned that the resistor will be hot and need a heat sink or other consideration?

Should I be concerned that the resistor will be hot and need a heat sink or other consideration?

Maybe you could build a hot-winkie for that.

You can buy panel mount LED assemblies that run on 12v.  Here is one example just to show what they look like:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ind-16g/12v-indicator-green-led/1.html

That was one of the first results if I searched "12 volt indicator led".  If you do some more searching you should be able to find a sealed one.

Green for go!

No, it will barely get warm (0.1 Watts @ 10 mA)
Why not leave it on all the time out of normal vision that way it's always ready. It would be possible to arrange it to only come on when there's a fault but that's not as simple to wire.

BTW a source of 12V LEDs is www.superbrightleds.com

They have a section devoted to motorcycles

My favorite dash lamp is the type 194, it has a built in rectifier so no need to worry about polarity

Don't worry about a holder for LEDs, just solder the wires to the base, more reliable that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Roys idea is that if you're having intermittent power to the ECU etc. that you should see it real time. Maybe you hit a bump and momentarily lost power due to a bad connection. Would do you no good sitting still in the garage with it running.

Maybe coil up some wire under the seat with LED ready to be implanted in helmet or taped to dash if you experience problems... It has to be seen for momentary power loss basically.

Not sure if that was the question or not....

ahha! said Zooter. It's starting to make sense now.

So I have to run a wire from petcock fuse to headstock and mount a bulb holder there.

What danger if the wire shorts out? Either no fuse or it blows out the petcock fuse ( if you have electric petcock ) neither is very good. Do good work!

I suspect the harness for the petcock is still in the loom, (? :huh2:  - maybe someone with a 2002 or older V11 can confirm that this connector is tucked up around the frame unused?) in which case you would only insert a small fuse in the block in case of a short and build the short Go_Winkie to mount where you wish.

First ride out today since the install and I forgot to look at it in the daylight. After dark, it is brighter than I would like (brighter than the hi-beam indicator), but out of the field of view.

Someday I'll be converting it to a more appropriate bulb or LED. In the meantime, if it gets obtrusive, I'll pull the fuse.

So, what about it, did Moto Guzzi delete the petcock connector from the harness (loom) after fitting the manual petcock in 2002? :huh2: